Another 50 lb restored to sail, paddle, portage

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
IMG_2368.JPGHere is a 15 ft 50# 1963 model ser#172091. It came to me with a sailing rig but no rudder pintels. I attached rudder mounts and had to move the factory painter ring to the deck. I removed the front seat and installed a single thwart to hold the mast. Since I had also installed a center portage thwart I made a short lee board bracket to fasten to the portage thwart instead of a standard lee board bracket. I'll have to sail it to see if it works. Got it off Ebay over two years ago. Needed mainly new canvas and deck stem repair. We'll see. I may find it necessary to move the mast thwart back.IMG_2364.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2365.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 308
Should be lots of fun, 15' and under are usually lively under sail! what size sail have you got for it?

I paddled for the first time today. Paddles good but I have to find the right ballast. The intended sail, the only sail I have of course, is an OT 50 sq ft. 114X114X128 inch.

I found a 60 sq ft sail for the canoe. Sailed great. Not bad on the upwind tack. The single lee board worked great. Dispensed with the rudder, too much trouble. I crossed a 2 mile bay in heavy swells. zipped right along. Surprisingly stable. Shipped some water. My only regret was I had no floor rack and everything in the bottom of the canoe gets wet, me included. I was well ballasted with camp gear. Love it.

Back