Gil Cramer

The wooden canoe Shop, Inc.
100_6983.JPG
100_6982.JPG
100_6995.JPG
100_6993.JPG
100_6996.JPG
100_6991.JPG

This is the Pioneer model built in 1999. It is 13feet long 30 inches wide, 12inches deep, and weighs 75lbs. The sheeting is B.C. red cedar ; ribs, keel, keelson, and gunwales are ash; deck caps, combings, and thwarts are cherry; stems are ash or oak ; decks are butternut. Price was $2995 Canadian,which was slightly less than $1800 US in 1999. On this canoe, the width is 30 3/4", and the stems are ash. This is a well built canoe and came with two factory paddles with decals.

Gil, I can perhaps add a bit to your info on the Alderville First Nation canoe. Alderville First Nation (Native Reservation) is on the south shore of Rice Lake, in Ontario, at the easterly end, between the cross-roads villages of Roseneath and Harwood; also not far from Hastings. Rice Lake itself lies just north of Lake Ontario and south of Peterborough, and is part of the Trent-Severn Waterway. Boyd Chatton, who worked along side Walter Walker for many years at Lakefield Canoe Co., and later at Rilco Industries and Peel Marine, was instrumental in assisting/mentoring the tribal workers at Alderville. So, you may notice Lakefield 'influences' or traditions in the make-up of this canoe, or at least those of Chatton, who has lived in recent years at nearby Campbellford, ON. On a recent visit to him, I was able to obtain several decals similar to that shown in your post, and was told some tales of these very canoes made at the time..

Roger, an advertising brochure came with the canoe.It lists the pioneer model, the 16' laker cedarstrip model for $3495, and a 16' Rilco (Lakefield) model canvas covered canoe for $2035. Ash paddles were $65 each and cherry $70 ea. Cedar seat backs were $15. The previous owner has a seat back somewhere, but couldn't find it.

Roger, the shear planks on one end were split so I pilled the deck and replaced them. This is what was found on the deck bottom.
100_7001.JPG

Gil; I´m trying to build a 15 ft Peterborough Canoe , from a incomplete plan from J.Ritter.
My question, surely you can answer to me, is if in a canoe like this is used nails or tacks. In the photos, aparentely, they are nails, square shank, can you help me in this?
Thanks
Enrique

Round shank copper nails bent 90 degrees toward the keelson, probably 19mm in length, maybe 14 gauge.

Back