A new guy says Hi

ElectricSquid

Wannabee Canoe Builder
Hi all, I'm Wayne from Clearwater Fl. I just joined up a few days ago.

I've been thinking of building a wooden canoe for a while now, and through a recent Google search on the topic, I found this site.

I have some 3/4" clear Western Red Cedar that I get from work (cosmetically damaged stuff). Unfortunately it's been kiln dried to 8-12% moisture, but I'm sure a good long soak would cure that. Anyway, I was thinking of trying to build a canoe out of it. I'd sure like to get my wife and I out on the water around here, but with todays economy, building the boat myself is the only way that's going to happen :p

Just like every other project I've ever done, if I want it, I'll just build it myself.
I'm glad to see some people out there still appreciate the old way of doing things. I think I'm going to learn a thing or two from you all.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of useful information and friendly folks here. Are you going to build a cedar strip canoe, all wood of wood and canvas? Good luck with whatever you choose.

I was looking into all wood. Something about canvas in the occasional saltwater and in the harsh Florida sun doesn't seem like it'll be the best way to go. I've seen what it can do to convertable car tops in a matter of a summer. It's not pretty.

But I'm not sure if Cedar will work well yet either compared to other woods.(that's what I have available to use)

Western red cedar is pretty much the standard for stripper style canoes - get a copy of Ted Moores' Canoecraft to get a good idea what is involved with building a stripper. Kiln dried stock is just fine for this application.

Well then, that was great news to wake up to.
That info pretty much put a green light on the project.

Thanks for the book tip, I'll have to go take a look at that.

Love that area!......Is that Rickety single lane bridge still there or did they finally build a new one...Heading south!....About a mile down on the left after the bridge was a great place to stop and eat...."Crabby Bill's"....you could get Maine Lobsters there...Never cared much for pounding on the crabs with a mallet and squirting the juice all over the place:eek: ...LOL.. Welcome to the WCHA....:D

"It's not how many strokes of the paddle it takes to get there. rather it is the JOY that is in the journey."........Blue VIking

ElectricSquid said:
They have a Crabby Bill's up there? I thought that was a Florida thing.

Squid, You also just lost an institution down there, Sloppy John Mulhauffer. Best bar in Florida

Back