25 ft Canoe

I have to wonder about the balance on the trailer... in theory, trailers should be loaded slightly front-heavy. I would think the length of this canoe, on a much shorter trailer, would compromise optimal balance? I'm speculating here...

Edit to maybe clarify... I know a front-heavy trailer will fishtail on the road. No idea what a back-heavy trailer would do.

Well, safely made it back to the Tidewater with an intact canoe.

For starters many thanks to Worth and his Bride for generously hosting me for a GREAT breakfast, I needed it after the drive up and before heading to Paradox Lake. I also want to thank Dave for allowing me to swing by to see his amazing restorations and sharing his experience and enthusiasm. Was truly nice to see the art of what is possible.

Will post some pics in a few days on my temporary rig for transporting the canoe.

Built an extension to the steel racks so it increased from about 6ft to 13ft front to back. The mid section of the canoe was fairly flat but I ended up inserting some 2x4 pieces to take up the gap so it was tight. Traveled well, no front to back, side to side, or up and down movement, even on the NY roads. Great experience with the sellers and look forward to sharing the journey as we go forward.

Attachments

• 1956 25ft War Canoe.jpg
    1956 25ft War Canoe.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 31
Todd, it was great to meet you in person! I don't know of any other WCHA members in Albany, so it was a real opportunity to talk face-to-face about wooden canoes.

Well, have traveled a bit to get some canoes and met some great folks. Was my pleasure to meet you guys.

I've never heard of a "front heavy" trailer fishtailing, ie, lot's of tongue weight.
but I know from experience the too little tongue weight is dangerious.
Most (all?) comercial utility trailers are designed/built with a lot of tongue weight.

I know a front-heavy trailer will fishtail on the road. No idea what a back-heavy trailer would do.

I dont know law about that in your country , in France every thing on the top of car must be verticaly from the front bumper
I forgot how many can be rear , a signal , must be put if it's too long
so when I see your odissey you can keep one metter on the front of your car

but be carrefull , my old job was blacksmith , and one time , a little lorry went at the shop , after painting a very long gate recently painted have be wrap , put on the rail behind the cabin and on rear "door" (the french pick' up ) , the vind on the wrapping an the speed have twisted the rail gate
just on tyed part , so I do twice the job ...........

I agree with you, I dont know the law here either!

A friend did say that I should have a red flag attached to the back end if it is a certain distance past the back of the vehicle, and I had red chem-lights attached for when it got dark.

I bought a cheap trailer light that I thought I could plug in to the truck if need be, but I became technologically frustrated when I tried to wire it. Need to get one of my sons on it!

Yea, would like to keep the racks open heading north but getting folks eyes on in invaluable.

Back