1941 Old Town Sailing Dinghy - davits

jam010148

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I have posted a 1941 Old Town sailing dinghy that I just completed restoring - posted on WCHA, eBay and Facebook sites). I have a person interested but requires information on hanging using davits. I see in the Old Town catalog for 1941, that these dinghies can hang for "days" on davits. So my question is, where are the dinghy anchor points? What hardware should be there?
It looks like there were anchors on the stern end in the corner transom supports (2" by 3/4" maybe???) and a point forward of the bow seat through a cross support. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. thanks...joe

There are lots of ways to install davits in a dinghy. My recollection is that these were usually screwed to the end of the inside stem in the bow and end of the keelson in the stern. The picture below shows a modern one in a block under the bow seat braces. You can decide what seems best to you,

Benson

1705675597097.jpeg

thanks Benson - that is exactly the position of a 5/16 to 3/8 inch hole in the cross support on the 1941 dinghy. Do you know where I can pick up the hardware? The bolt and ring? Also, would you happen to have a picture on the stern end with the support? I see some with what looks like a 3" ring mounted somehow using the center support for the stern board. This can be seen in the 1941 Old Town catalog - pages 15 thru 17.
thanks again Benson for you response and photo.
joe

Jamestown Distributors is generally a decent source for boat hardware. It's worth taking a peek there.

Thanks Benson - a bit steep in price but if this seals the deal, I will be forced to purchase.

Thanks MGC - i use Jamestown Distributors all the time. I will search the site for this bolt or a similar brass bolt.

have a great day...joe

I found shoulder eye bolts in bronze on "Victory Products" and "Sheridan Marine".
thanks again
joe

Back