1923 OTCA - Aluminum Deck Combing?

Graves

Started restoring a 1923 Old Town OTCA which came to me with aluminum deck combings. It was suggested that this was indeed original to this canoe however I am having a difficult time verifying this. From most of the photos of OTCAs of this era, it seems that they were originally birch. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4785.JPG
    IMG_4785.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 76
Deck combings seem to take a lot of abuse.
They stand proud above the deck and seem to be struck with some regularity. It’s very common to see them damaged and often beyond repair.
I suspect that that is the case on your canoe.
The aluminum is a replacement.

Last edited:
I agree with Dave that this is probably a replacement. This canoe appears to have had a few other repairs in the past. I don't recall ever seeing another Otca with an aluminum deck combing. What is the serial number? Something unusual like this would probably have been mentioned on the build record if it was done at the factory.

Benson

Last edited:
I agree as well. Never saw an Otca with aluminum coamings before. Also, the poor fit and the relatively small number of screws used to attach it are unusual with respect to original wooden coamings on an Otca. Most likely someone's later replacement.

Back