1915 OT Floor Rack? Requesting photos and dimensions

Douglas Kestell

Lignum Linter Fanaticus
As spring is nearly here in Wisconsin, it’s time to get to finishing the 1915 OT Charles River I’ve been working on.

Per the original build sheet (thank you Benson) it had a floor rack. The original is long gone.

Could someone provide a photo and a few dimensions for a floor rack.

I am assuming they are 1 unit with several thin slats but I’m not sure of the slat dimensions (width and thickness) and how far they extend. I am guessing from maybe just under the stern seat to in front of the bow seat, but not sure.

Also, we’re these removable? How were they attached?

Thank you

just so happens one is in my shop now. 6 slats - 3 per side. 1.5 inches wide by probably 3/16 thick. Mostly full length. spacing at center 3/4 inch and taper closer together at ends. Tacked to cross pieces that lay between ribs and held down via brass turn buckle so removable. The brass plates are for joints in slats.
20220326_090109.jpg 20220326_090145.jpg 20220326_090210.jpg 20220326_090226.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, about 6 slats about 12 inches wide in middle and about 8 inches wide at the ends. On the one I just made 3 slats under to fit between the ribs and held down with pieces of brass stem band. Also held to the inside stem with same. I screw them together so I can assemble them in the canoe. IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0632.JPG

For material, i normally use pine, although I did make one set out of mahogany to gussy it up a little.
I purchase “select grade” 2x4s and rip them lengthwise. The width is about perfect for the slats.
I usually steam and bend the cross pieces to fit where they need to go, primarily near each end.
I’ve screwed them together and I’ve also clinched escutcheon pins to attach the slats to the cross pieces.

I made them last week from spruce, because that's what I had on hand. I had to make 2 last week. For the bottom cross braces I lay a piece of wood between the ribs and trace/ run a pencil along the rib tops to get the curve and I cut that curve. Steaming them is nice but I never seem to get that curve to lay perfect.

I believe the originals would have been either spruce or mahogany. Most likely, the slats were made from scraps left over from milling gunwales.

Also, the brass turnbuckles were simply scrap stem band pieces screwed to a scrap of cedar.

Back