17' Chestnut 3555 17 PLEA

Paul Fopeano

INNKEEPER
I got a first look at what I hope will be a future project today. She is a 17' Chestnut with 3555 17 PLEA stamped on the stern stem. She came from a camp in Northern New England and has been worked over a bit but for the most part is original - ash outwales, spruce inwales, ash seats. It has double ribs in the places were there wanigans would tend to wear on the ribs. The decks and stems appear sound and the rails may only need a little cleaning up. She has taken some pretty heavy hits and will need 10 to 15 ribs replaced as well as a bunch of planking. The owner has been keeping her afloat by what ever means possible and once his paddling season is over hopefully it will come to my shop for a much needed overhaul - and I get to have some fun this winter playing with a Chestnut!

Does anyone have any idea when this boat was made and what model it is? Thanks!

Paul Fopeano
Onlyone Maine Made Wooden Canoe Works

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_2158.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_2159.jpg
    IMG_2159.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_2160.jpg
    IMG_2160.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 298
There are no known existing serial number records for the Chestnut Canoe Company so the best you can hope for is that someone has another Chestnut with a similar serial number and a very accurate family history or other documentation. Sorry,

Benson

Like Benson said but the "PLEA" might be a indicator that its a "Pleasure" model. Mind you, Chestnut routinely would not have so stamped a canoe.

Thanks Benson & Larry,

Using Dargonfly's identification charts, and assuming that PLEA means pleasure canoe, the canoe should be an "Aster" (1st grade) or "Winter" (2nd grade). The simple rounded deck makes it a "post fire" boat. It is 17' long and about 35" wide - Asters and Winters were the only Pleasure canoes in that length and width - those models were dropped in 1954 - 56. So, Chestnut #3555 17 PLEA should be pre 54 - 56....... I guess that is as close as we'll get!

From what I could tell from my quick look at her, she was a more finely built boat that my dad's 1960's something Bobs.

Did Chestnut's confused history lead to the company's downfall!?

Thanks again!

Paul

Back