Possible Chestnut?

smallboatshop

Restorers
This canoe is 16' long, 36" wide and about 14+" deep. It has a shoe keel, square drive screws and Canadian weave for the seats. It has wide cant ribs and what looks to be the shadow of a Chestnut decal on the deck. It has narrow ribs, about 1 1/4".

If this is a Chestnut, what model might it be? And is there a estimation of the age?

Thanks, Dan

Attachments

• Decal shadow.JPG
    Decal shadow.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 371
  • Narrow ribs.JPG
    Narrow ribs.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 367
  • Wide cant ribs.JPG
    Wide cant ribs.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 370
That looks good except in the picturetrail charts the Fort has wide ribs. Perhaps it's a Deer and I miss-read the depth - it was under a barn and by flashlight. And another question: the both gunwales were spliced; Would Chestnut have done that at the factory?

I have restored a few of these and it is a Chestnut. From what I have found out these were a lesser grade that were built on 16' Chestnut Prospector forms using their narrow ribs. Thus the 14" depth and 36" width. They came with either hand caned or slat seats. Usually had a serial number on a stem face but often no Chestnut decals. In Canada they were sold through the HBC and Eatons department stores. Although they were built as a cheap competition canoe in their day I consider them keepers today. You have the famous 16' Chestnut Prospector that is much lighter than the original due to the smaller ribs. Every time I get one to keep for myself someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. Hope I can find another one but 'til then I will use my narrow rib Chestnut Pal/Deer.

And another question: the both gunwales were spliced; Would Chestnut have done that at the factory?

Fortunately we have our colleagues from up in Canadia to sort out our confusion about all of the Chest/Peternut boats.....Interesting that these are built off a Prospector form.

With respect to the spliced rails, I understand that this is very common in the later boats. My Fox has spliced rails and you'll read a comment from Janet Bloom about the same on one of hers. I have rail replacement on my list of things to do...someday...it's in the stack-box of possible ideas for future possible consideration. There's a big pileup in that box though and they may stay that way for another 50 years.

Spliced rails are common, I've had them from early '60s boats through the late '70s. Ironic in a province so heavily forested that they didnt use full length stock.

I have noticed that when Chestnut used other than Oak inwales and outwales they were not scarfed where as if the canoe was built with Oak inners and outers they were scarfed.

I deal with that with my middle name..

okay i'll throw out the first guess, is it Gayle?

gotta love thread drift....

Rule out 'Guy' for obvious reasons. I knew a guy named Gayle once. Nearly shot me. thumb slipped off the hammer, I pay close attention to other hunters now if I do not know whether they are safe. Drifting......
Gaylon?

OK, I'll play along in the spirit of falling on the sword.
Dropped a nice buck today so I can handle a bit of extra abuse.....it's Gene.
Please keep that a secret since I am still trying to come to terms with it.

You guys are pretty serious b-breakers......gotta love it.

Keep your stick on the ice.

Mike,

What's wrong with the name Gene? In the canoe world, it doesn't get much higher/better than that, ie, Gene Jenson

Dan

who used to think the same way about "George", my middle name, but got over it long ago.

Back