16' Charles River? Serial number 16-830(?) w pics

I'm looking for some background/history on this canoe. It looks like it might be a Charles River but I have no idea who made it. I found it in a brush pile in Naples, Maine, on Long Lake. The serial number looks like 16-830 (18-830?) and I've included a picture of the serial number along with other pictures. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Canoe1.jpg
    Canoe1.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 257
  • Canoe2.jpg
    Canoe2.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Canoe3.jpg
    Canoe3.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 249
  • Canoe4.jpg
    Canoe4.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Canvas canoe #16 830.jpg
    Canvas canoe #16 830.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 253
Charles River

Hi Neil:

Yes, the easy answer is that your canoe is a "courting canoe" most likely from the Charles River area.

Discriminating between and among the many builders in the area is much more difficult. We had a Charles River builder theme at Assembly a few years ago and many of these boats showed up. Even with the boats sitting side by side on the grass, identifying builders without an obvious tag or stamp was very difficult.

Your canoe is missing seats/thwarts which can sometimes help narrow the field. If I had to guess, your canoe might be a Robertson, Arnold, or Waltham. If the serial number is sequential, it would suggest one of the more prolific builders. The stem profile reminds me of Arnold. The planking and tacking pattern is like Robertson.

Fitz.

Back