15" Old Town Dingy

Ned Farrington

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi,
I brushed aside the debris, slapped down a piece of white paper and rubbed the flat of a pencil across it. It reads, 167657 then after a space of several inches, 15.
This is an interesting dingy. It has sponsons and oar lock fittings with a slanted transom. Here are some pictures.
Thanks, Ned

Last edited:
The Old Town canoe with serial number 167657 is an 15 foot long square end model with half ribs, a keel, outside stems, sponsons, and a rowing seat. It was built between May, 1958 and August, 1959. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on May 24th, 1960 to Tyngsboro, Masschusetts. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

These scans and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Old Town dinghies were available as short as nine feet but none were as small as fifteen inches. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• 167657.gif
    167657.gif
    46 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Oh No!
How stupid of me. Well you see I just got this new keyboard from Sears and it's taking a little getting used to.
So let's get this right, it (the canoe) is 15 FEET in lenght.
Benson just gave a most accurate description.

Here are some pictures.
thanks Benson

Attachments

• IMG_6814 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6814 (Medium).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_6815 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6815 (Medium).JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_6816 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6816 (Medium).JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_6817 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6817 (Medium).JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 362
Old Town Motor Canoe

Hi Ned

I recently restored OT # 172927-15, a similar one to yours that was shipped in August, 1964.
Here are some photos of how yours will look soon!

Steve Lapey

Attachments

• Motor Canoe Complete 001.jpg
    Motor Canoe Complete 001.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 468
  • Motor Canoe Complete 002.jpg
    Motor Canoe Complete 002.jpg
    885.9 KB · Views: 359
  • Motor Canoe Complete 006.jpg
    Motor Canoe Complete 006.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 356
  • Motor Canoe Complete 007.jpg
    Motor Canoe Complete 007.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 356
Very nice Steve, I showed them to the owner. Everyone here was impressed. Thanks for putting them up. I'll be working on a price for the job this week. I'm not very good at estimates. What do you think a job like this is worth?

Ned

Back