100 Top Canoe Builders....?

Walter Hauck

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Could someone out there please direct me to a listing I saw in the last year or so titled something like "Top 100 Premier Canoe Builders"? I think it was posted on this forum somewhere......

OK Marty,

So now I'm curious, I bite,

What kind of builders are listed on this list?
Being a magazine, are just plastic manufacturers listed or are wood builders included also? And is it for current builders or ones from the past also?
Where is the list?

Dan

Paddlers ofs the Century

Hi Dan,
I found it again at http://www.paddlermagazine.com/issues/2000_1/feature2.htm
The article starts..."As we celebrate the end of a spectacular century of paddling, cerain individuals stand out from the crowd. Some are well-known as visionaries, innovators, Olympic athletes or legendary explorers, while other have gone quietly about the business of paddling for its own sake, logging thousands of miles for nothing more than the experience itself and some entries in an obscure river journal....Some you've likely never heard of. But this group shares something in common, something more important than fame: a love of paddling and water, with a lifetime spent discovering both."
It continues with sections for Olympic paddlers, and then Paddlers of the Next Century. Anyway, I found it interestsing to read . (I was searching under "Alfred Wickett"....) Hope this link works and you enjoy it. Marty

paddlers of the century

innovators where are Lew Gilman, Stelmok, Smart,Thurlow,Templeton and many others Maine Builders.
paddlers i see none of the Old Town Boys Jim Martin, Wayne Gilman the Phillips boys
who i believe all won National titles on the Dead in the 60 and 70's
and im sure the list goes on

Thanks Marty,

I just scanned it, I'll read it later, but it seems short on "builders",
and some of the selections/omissions seem odd but..it's their list.

And it seems like the Wicket blurp was a bit distorted if I remember right.

But it is a "paddlier" magazione and not a canoe "builder" mag.

Thanks,
Dan

I agree--the list does seem a bit slanted toward paddlers and not builders.
I have not heard of many of those listed. It would be interesting to see a list of canoe builders and all the connections and cross-overs betwen them. That would be a huge committee task----and one that I am not qualified for.
I have a lot to learn (remembering is the hard part!)
Marty

Back