Solo stripper plans

steve stanfill

I'd like to start out by saying hello, I'm new to this site and looking forward talking canoe building with all the members of WCHA. I'm looking for plans for a solo stripper that are as close to the Bell Magic in dimensions as possible. I have not paddled one but the reviews I've been reading and the dimension comparisons I've been doing make me think it would make a very nice solo. It sounds like Dave yost has found the sweet spot for rocker on this boat for handling and tracking. The beam at the gunnel seems more narrow than most solo's but it would probably make it easy to paddle. Being 16' feet long I'm sure gives the boat a finer entry profile making it easier to paddle and faster if needed. Let me know what you think.

Hi Steve:

I was looking around awhile for a similar canoe and came up with the Osprey, but I see that you have considered that already at WoodenBoat Forum. Let us know how you make out.

I'm considering having template form drawings made that would be similar to the Magic. My plan is to use the plan of a northwest passage solo for the base. Maintain the lines up to the waterline and maximum beam, then have the lines redrawn to get the 23" beam at the gunnels, adding .5" to the height at mid ship. Extending the chine to at least 3/4 length of the boat, maybe from stem to stern. Change the rocker by extending the lines of the forms above the top of strongback line the same distance that the bottom of the form needs to be lowered, maintaining the same shear line. I'd need to space the forms further apart to get a 16' boat and if possible change the stem shape to get a more traditional recurve look. That's my plan right now, I'll have to wait and see how much a man with a CAD program can do.

Steve
I might be able to help you out with the CAD work. Send me an email with as much information as possible, including drawings and/or sketches.

Back