Rushton

I gather this rushton fellow held some sway, and his boats are sought after? Wish I'd have known that yesterday before I started my latest project.
Ah well, at least I dont have to paddle anymore...:p

Attachments

• 7038.jpg
    7038.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 414
  • 7038pic.jpg
    7038pic.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 404
Ah, Andre, at least you didn't turn it into a bookcase... What's JS gonna say when you put an outboard well in your new 16-30??? :eek:

He'll say "gimme the keys" when I shoehorn this in the cockpit and install the shaftlog and surface drive...
Oh and John Hupfield charged me with luring/convincing/bribing? you to attend the killbear event this year during our visit this past weekend.

Attachments

• radcam.jpg
    radcam.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 412
Fitz
More photos -more photos -PLEASE, sure looks pretty. Whats the shear like? How about a close-up of the thwarts and seats. Did he make a 15 footer?
Thanks, Denis

Brodbeck

Denis:

Not to highjack the Rushton thread, but here's what I have for pictures. The Brodbeck belongs to a Norumbega Chapter member. As Larry mentioned, the tumblehome is striking on this canoe and the woodwork amazing.

Attachments

• BrodbeckSeat.jpg
    BrodbeckSeat.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 390
  • Sheer.jpg
    Sheer.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 425
  • BrodbeckUnderway.jpg
    BrodbeckUnderway.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 429
Fitz’s photos refreshed my memories about the Brodbeck and thought I would clarify and add a point or two.

Re how the ribs and inwales were joined. Describing the ribs as set in a pocket of the inwales is really not accurate, as the rib tops are exposed (open gunnels.) What he has done though is half notched the inwales, so on the underside, the rib ends fit in a beveled notch on the inwale. The bottom side of the inwale is wider than the top of the inwale by the thickness of the rib to allow for this “half-notch.”

Also, if you look at Fitz’s pictures of the canoe’s end, you can see that the inwales and outwales sit together flat at the ends: no cant rib ends sticking up to separate them. To do this requires more fiddling with the shape of the inwale. On the first photo Fitz posted, on the rib on the left hand side of the photo, you can see how the last rib end fits in yet another inwale notch. Note that the outwale is not notched to overlap the sheer strake plank. The top edge of that plank is exposed.

So it’s sort of a mix of open and closed gunnel. Open most of the length of the canoe, but closed at the ends.

The seat cane is original. So is the seat cane on Bill Conrad’s Brodbeck (the only other Brodbeck I know) and its about 100 years old.

Was just reading about Mr Stephensen from Norway, ME on here...Does anyone have a source of information about when he was in operation, where his location in Norway was, and how long was he building....I am currently house sitting a place in Norway for friends and have nothing but time and would love to drive by and see if there is anything of spiritual interest there. Maybe even talk to family if they are still in the area
Thanks

Blue Viking,

George Stephenson (born in August 1865) had a long canoe building career; he grew up working for his father the pioneer canoe builder John S. Stephenson in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.

In 1885, he moved to Auburndale, Mass where he worked for J.R. Robertson as well as for H.V. Partelow and later started his own canoe building business.

George moved to Norway, Maine in the early 1890’s where he rented the 2nd floor of a big three story building behind the Opera House. After the big fire in Norway 1894 which destroyed his business together with a good portion of the town centre, he set up shop at the shore of the mill pond.

In 1930 George moved his business to Lake Keewaydin in Stoneham. A couple of years later he moved to Kezar Lake, Center Lovell where he remained in business until his death in April 1945.

Cheers
Dick Persson

Last edited:
Working on the Brodbeck was quite an experience. We didn't feel that a complete restoration was the right way to go because of its excellent original condition. I replaced one rib and about six feet of 4 1/2" wide planking and managed to get a very good color match on the new wood. The re-canvassing was straight-forward, re-attaching the original outwales was a challange. I was able to obtain brass escuscheon pins that were exact duplicates of those used by Brodbeck. I have several pictures of the Brodbeck, I'll try to post them here.

Steve Lapey

Attachments

• Brodbeck Pinky Ring.jpg
    Brodbeck Pinky Ring.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 391
  • Brodbeck Caned Seat.jpg
    Brodbeck Caned Seat.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 415
  • Brodbeck Bow Deck.jpg
    Brodbeck Bow Deck.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 410
Dick interesting that an experienced canoe builder heads south.Wonder what experince he brought with him and why he migrates from a canoe building area to another ?
Dan'l

Dan'l,
I would suspect he brought with him quite a bit of experience and knowledge. He obliviously knew that his skills had a value as he was able to start with $2.50 a day, room and board + the cost for moving to Boston. Supposedly quite a good pay for that time.

In a letter home to a girl friend in Peterborough in 1886 he writes: “………..I have not seen a real canoe since I came here, but hope to show them some in a short time. John (J.R. Robertson) has me building forms for their new line of Canadian models……….”

He also seems to have had the time of his life, :) he later writes: “….by golly, I had more girls on my hands than I could take care of. I remember one time I took out a different girl every night for 27 nights….”

Cheers
Dick Persson

Last edited:
Back