Reed & Prince (Frearson Drive) Seat Screws Needed

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
Restoring a Penn Yan Rainbow and need 12-24 x 4" flat head seat screws.
I've looked for some on the net...no luck. Would substitute with Phillips drive, but can't find any of those in brass or bronze either.. checked with the PennYan guy, too..
Anybody have any extra's? Or a source?

Mike,
Need machine screws....
Some distributors don't even carry
12-24 machine screws. They jump from #10 to 1/4".
Dave

I contacted the Lyman guy before my first post. He did not have what I was looking for and did not offer any sources.

I spent 30 years in the fastener industry in various positions. I started as a machine operator and grew to hate Frearson drive screws. We didn't make a lot of them. The punch that made the recess just never held up well.

At any rate, here is what I do now to give myself the best chance at saving the screws as I remove them.....
Because the recess (fastener term) is so funnel shaped, it really fills up with paint and varnish. I apply stripper to each screw head, allow some time, then blow it out with compressed air. I apply stripper and do it again, using a pick if I have to to remove all debris in the recess. It is important to have full engagement with the driver bit when removing them.
ALWAYS use a Frearson driver... never Phillips. They are available at Jamestown.
Push hard on the driver to get full bit engagement and go slow as you start to remove the screw.

Seems it's easier to do this than find new screws... good luck

Dave,
FWIW, the PY I did a while back had oval head, straight blade screws, they were original.
Dan

Attachments

• P5270067.JPG
    P5270067.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 470
Back