OT Design #23

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I need a full size pattern for the "leaf" in Design #23. Does nayone have that pattern or know where can I get it. Does OT sell templates or full size photocopies that can be used to make a template. Needed to use when reapainting my grandfather's 1929 18' OT HW AA.

The stripe and leaf shown below are slightly oversized. The gold paint from the factory turned green from use in the ocean so I had a local sign painter put gold leaf over the original paint. The attached images should give you the overall idea. You are welcome to come see the canoe in Maine if these pictures don't answer your questions.

Benson

Attachments

• leaf-1.jpg
    leaf-1.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 586
  • leaf-2.jpg
    leaf-2.jpg
    785.1 KB · Views: 323
Jan,
My OT 50lber has remnents of the original on the skin since its a #45 design scheme. I tried hard to scrape off paint that was layed on over it and it's a bit different than Benson's/catelog. However you can get placement and correct size from it, thats what I'm going to do.

Chris
two examples to work from is always better then one. Let me know when you have something cleaned off. Also you don't mind the cold the Paw Paw River can be kind of a fun paddle in places.

Jan

Jan,
My OT 50lber has remnents of the original on the skin since its a #45 design scheme. I tried hard to scrape off paint that was layed on over it and it's a bit different than Benson's/catelog. However you can get placement and correct size from it, thats what I'm going to do.

heres a quick tip maybe you can try...at least it works on old vw's. When we want to remove old paint to get back to original finishes or try to uncover original painted logo's on delivery vehicles we use easy off oven cleaner. Its pretty good at stripping old paint and not touching the older stuff for some reason..that maybe an effective way to remove a layer or 2 of paint to get back to the orginal design so you can make a pattern with out destorying it.

good tip, too late though, I tried carefully scraping off the top layer, that gold paint was super thin so its hard to decipher exactly....

DEsign ? for Benson

After looking closely at the pics I have, the family canoe has a different leaf than that in #23. The build sheet states #23 but the leaf is different. Did OT use different shaped leafs at different times? How many different shaped leafs did OT use? I have attached the pic that shows the leaf off the best. It definately is different than the leaf in #23.

Attachments

• canoe 2.jpg
    canoe 2.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 336
Jan,
It is so cool how they interwove the stripe through the name. Wonder if your folks asked for that or it was just how the OT painter did it. Very cool! :D
Denis

Did OT use different shaped leafs at different times? How many different shaped leafs did OT use?

Yes, these were all done by hand so there were many variations in the shapes. They did have a brass template for the basic outline in the later years but you will probably want to just work from the photographs that you have.

Benson

I do not know how much input Gramps had in ordering the canoe. At that time my grandfather had a produce whole sale business in Detroit. The canoe was a gift from his employees in August of 1929.

What I will do is scale it out from the pics I have. Placement of the stripe looks like constant distance below the outer wale. The stripe appears to be half way between the the outer wale and the rub bead/strip where the name starts. The name appears to increase slightly. I have a few friends in the art world with large printers and I bet on of them could take that pic and blow that area up to full size. Given the distance between the outerwale and the rub strip it should be easy. I think.

The big one is 66x29x8", the other is 60x28x7.75. There is a third paddle in the set that is 54x25x7.75. All are spruce, the big one moves a lot of water or should I say really pushes a canoe. The 2nd feels a bit short but that may be because I have an OT paddle from the 60's that is 64x28x7 in spruce. The third is way to short for me no matter what canoe, bow or stern. I hope to make the Assembly with the canoe and paddles, all date to 1929. I also intend to make a few like the 2 big ones in spruce.

Thanks for those dimensions....I have started making paddles out of Sassafrass wood...light and strong....currently working on 2 from a design I got at a local museum made by a local canoe maker at the turn of the century....think my winter project will make a couple from those dimensions you sent...thanks again...blizzard like conditons here right now...so canoes are safely tucked away until spring

Wide paddles

I acquired these four paddles with an ancient Old Town. The large ones are 9 5/8" and 9 3/4" wide. The decals, if there were any, are long gone but they look like paddles OT offered years ago. Do your grandfathers paddles have decals still intact? Using these paddles all day would build very large muscles.

R.C.

Attachments

• Copy of P1010002.JPG
    Copy of P1010002.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
what are your overall lengths and blade lengths? No Decals left on Gramp's old paddles. Still have decals on the 50s-60s OT paddles

The leaves...

I used this scheme on my 1914 Otca and had an absolute devil of a time coming up with the shape for that leaf. After months of trial and error, I happened upon a organizations logo that has a trio of oak leaves in it. I turned it up-side-down and what do you know, the shape of the two outer edge leaves are the right shape to make that leaf shape on the canoe design! I photocopied it, enlarged it and made a stencil out of both leaves so you have them for fore and aft. If you want to know the name of the organization so you can see these leaves for yourself, send me a private message. I will not post that here for fear of logo theft or some such litigious bull. It's just a leaf.

Wide paddles

Jan,

The dimensions of the four paddles previously posted are: From the left--

1. Old Town with decal, 1970's: 56 3/4" LOA, blade 7 1/16"x 25 1/2" Ash
2. Unknown: 53 7/8" LOA, blade 9 5/8"x 27" Spruce
3. Unknown: 60 1/4" LOA, blade 9 3/4"x 29" Spruce
4. Old Town with decal, 1970's: 54 1/4" LOA, blade 6 3/8" x 25 1/2" Spruce

All four paddles came with a 1917, 18' Charles River. The sellers, who were not the original owners, got the wide paddles with the canoe and purchased the other two in the 70's.

R.C.

Last edited:
Back