Gramp's 1929 OT HW AA

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Here is an update for those of you that remember the pics I posted I think in Nov maybe early Dec of my grandfather's 1929 OT HW AA. Got it down from the rack and put it on the 10' roller cart I made and started in taking things off. Deck tips are rotten, 5" of the bow and stern stem tips are spongy, inwales are spongy to gone at differing lengths. Canvas has shrunk and disentgrated along the rails. And there are about 20 broken ribs. So I will redo it. I have lots of mahogany, white cedar and time. My "canoe shop" doubles as my back porch/violin varnish drying box/and general free work space for any other project. So things are always interesting. This is because there is no room in the real shop and the front of it is full. Maybe I will take a pic and post it if I ever get organized.

Hi Jan

Working on a couple myself and one is 17' HW AA like yours. Sounds similar to the condition as yours, maybe worse. I am looking forward to bending kiln dried Honduran. I think I'll pre-soak it.

I would recommend presoaking but not to the point of discoloration. Overall 18' really isn't very bad. I also have a 17' CS HW that is bad. Partialy done by some one somewhere with lots of errors to correct. Then there is the White and the Morris in the future. The little Chestnut needs some varnish on the inside before it goes out again. I will get that done soon because it is fun solo. I also need to refit that flat keel. Right now I have the gaps in its fit to the hull pack full of plumbers putty. It could use a new canvas but that can wait a bit so varnish for now. Otherwise I am stuck with Rylx or Fglass.

Back