"Old Style" Old Town Seat

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
Has anybody ever made old style Old Town Seats with the larger radius like,in the photo. image.jpg
If so, what size round over router bit did you use? None of mine quite match up....

Yes, and I don't know, but it must have been a std size, ie, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 as that's all I have.

What is the radius on the frame?

Dan

I used the 3/4 round over then adjusted the curve with a block plane before assembly. Minor changes were required after assembly.

image.jpg

This was my response to this problem. I had a couple of bits custom made. (I work in a tool store. Employee discount ROCKS!)

OYE, I only have hand tools..........rasps, small planes and a ZENNER for getting everything straight, Dave

What appears to be a larger radius might be an elliptical treatment (more elegant, in my opinion). That could made using a small radius router bit set deeper to cut a rabbet, which could then be planed away and blended to form the ellipse. My Morris seats have that detail. The picture seems to me to show a 45 degree chamfer East and West of the caning. That could be an illusion.

Thanks for the replies! The form seems to be more oval than round....
A round over bit with hand work or a good buddy in Nevada seem to be the best bet to recreate this profile.

Ha! You corrected, so I had to edit. There will be a day or two delay getting them out. I've gotta hit the bearing shop tomorrow. We were out of the right size.

Woodcraft at Woodcraft.com has "Table Edge" router bits, (items 129678 D=2-1/2"& 129679 D=1-3/16"), that seems to be the elliptical shape. Page 36 of their Feb 2016 catalog.

Back