Old forms

MikeC

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Anybody have any old forms that they are done with in the Upstate NY area? I would prefer a nice prospector or a Bob special type boat with a little rocker but not reall picky.

Mike

we had a bunch for sale at our wooden canoe festival last summer they were barn fresh anywhere from 14 to 20 foot i can check on their whereabouts as i believe they did not sell these were rib and plank

Maine

Maine is kind of far for me,If there were some in NY I wouldnt mind taking a drive but its no big deal. I dont mind making my own but was just seeing if there were some out there.

Thanks

That one form was 950.00,I should go in the form making business.:)

Mike

form ulating a plan.

950 ain't bad. I bought one for a grand and glad to get it. I built another from scratch and spent $700 for the materials(18'). Good materials. Others have gone for less so you may find something yet.

Consider what you will spend on materials for a solid mold for a canvas canoe (ideally including clear, full length pine or spruce for the strips), the time you will invest in making the mold, and the fact that once you have the mold you can build as many canoes as you like, you may find that price is a bargain... You sure won't get rich building them to sell at that price!

Cheers,
Dan

I have the patterns if you are interested

I don't like to put anything here that looks like advertising but seeing how you asked, I have the patterns for a prospector canoe if that is what you are looking for. I am a little confused becasue the thread is in the wood strip section but the conversation appears to be about wood and canvas.

But if you are looking for forms for a wood strip prospector then you can get them here. There is a good bit of rocker and tumblehome to the canoe. I first built one 20 some odd years ago to paddle the Yukon river in Alaska. Many have gone out the door since then but I still have the first one.

http://www.sandypointboatworks.com/prospector.html

Jack Battersby
Sandy Point Boat Works
WWW.Sandypointboatworks.com

I agree with Dan Miller. Selling forms at $950 - $1000 is not a way to get rich. I've had the pleasure to build a canoe off one of his forms and I can attest that he is a skilled form builder in addition to being an awful nice guy!:cool:

I have a Cheemaun form for sale in the classified area. It may be close to what you're looking for. I'll be coming out to N.Y. in July. I may be able to deliver it?:rolleyes:

Back