Newly acquired B.N. Morris

Thanks for the kind comments. The answers to the questions are:

I did find the serial number plate under the bow deck, it is 15281. If anyone has more information I'd appreciate it.
I don't have any specific information about the floor boards. They did look like they were original based on the visible wear and the condition of the finishes between them and the ribs.
Although I'm working on it in Hiram, Maine it came out of a carriage house used as a garage in Cambridge, MA.
For the interior finish I used Epifanes Wood Finish, two coats of gloss followed by two coats of matte, light sanding between coats.

Thanks for both factoids. Feel better now it came out of Mass and I am not tortured finding out it was in Waterboro or something really nearby. Working on the final finish inside and thinking about satin or semi gloss buffed with 0000 steel wool. I have done that before with great results on furniture.

cw,
Seems to me that the satin would work better in a canoe. With all the facets to the component parts of a canoe, getting a really nice rub out job would next to impossible.
Just a thought.
Denis

I may just do certain parts that get more visual attention (seats, thwarts, deck and wales etc). I can do as much or as little as I want that is the good part. I still have to cut up a parts car MG to make a trailer for it :)

I did find the serial number plate under the bow deck, it is 15281. If anyone has more information I'd appreciate it.

Using an extremely precise correlation table that interpolates data from the pre-1920 location of the North Star, Pluto and growth rings from a particular cedar tree harvested in the Dismal Swamp to establish Morris build dates, your canoe was likely built between late 1917 and 1918.

Back