Morris #158 "Outside stems and a substantial keel" questions

Thanks for sharing all these pictures, George. These threads are valuable research tools.

You may be interested to know that when Charlie Morris (Bert's brother and cohort in BN Morris Canoes) built boats for his two grandchildren, they weren't canoes but were similar to your boat. Charlie was a fisherman and what he built them were canvas-covered fishing boats 19 feet long. The granddaughter's boat was double-ended like yours and the grandson's had a transom at one end for an outboard motor.

Kathy

The letter I received from a Morris grandson refers to his double ended row boat that some drunk ran over with a pickup truck on the beach at the lake near Bangor. I fish from my Kevlar copy of Morris pod #158. A 19 footer would be more comfortable to fish from but would require more effort to transport.

Attachments

• P1450484s.jpg
    P1450484s.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 318
Progress with P-Pod

The filler coat has had 3 months to cure. I used Rustoleum to mix my filler and used the finish color for the filler. A light sanding with a Scotchpad and a "second filler / paint coat". I had almost a quart of filler mix left from the first application. I mixed it with an equal part of Rustoleum and rolled it on. I will let this coat cure for 6 weeks and start with straight Rustoleum for two or three coats, lightly sanding between coats and finish the gallon of paint.

Attachments

• after first sanding.jpg
    after first sanding.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 287
  • ready for second filler coat.jpg
    ready for second filler coat.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 284
  • second coat rolled on.jpg
    second coat rolled on.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 290
First coat top coat of Rustoleum. Enough paint left for one more coat after the rails and keel are installed. Attaching the rails is next.

Attachments

• P1470087s.jpg
    P1470087s.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 305
  • P1470090s.jpg
    P1470090s.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 294
The profile of the canvassed ends of the boat is ready to transfer to the wood I will cut to shape and use as a form for steam bending. Before I make that cut I am wondering if I should take a little off the curve to allow for rebound. Perhaps cut 1/4" inside the actual curve? I can always shim it back out I suppose? Any suggestions? Air dried white oak is what I am using for the new stems and keel.

Thanks,

George

Back