epoxy

adkpaddle

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am getting ready to start my stripper canoe and am trying to decide how much it will cost in the long run. Being that epoxy is expensive, I am trying to figure out how much resin and hardener I will need for a 16' canoe. I plan on using west system with a ratio of 5:1.
thanks

Ad,

Not to be too negative but, why are you concerned about the cost? If you want a cheap canoe, just go buy a plastic one, it will be much cheaper then making one. To say nothing about all the time needed to build one.

For less expensive resin, checkout Raka, it's better priced and you can get a non-blushing resin. My next recommendation would be MAS, and there are a number of "offbrands" that are also competatively priced.

But, as for how much, that depends on how you plan to lay it up and how carefull you are. In general, you want to put on as little resin as possible and still have a complete wetout. On my projects, I used about 2-2.25 gals, this on 18.5 ft large trippers, about 72-74 ft^2 surface area, and multi layers of glass.

You didn't ask but, I try to build as light a canoe as I can, (the 1st was way too heavy) and my main desires for epoxy are, 1) no blush, 2) low viscosity (better wetout) and 3) consistant/predictable wetout/curing.

Disclosure: I'm a Robert's believer, meaning I think 1 layer of 6oz glass is not adequate and multi layers of glass are good. The hull of my current project is 43 lbs for a large 18.5 ft tripper.

Good luck,
Dan

thanks

thanks for the help. The catalog that I was using sold west system epoxy in gallon and 4.35 gallon sizes. It was cheaper to buy the 4.35 gallon size than to get 2 gallons. As for the fiberglass, I still have to find a local place that sells it.

Be careful, that's about 2 gallons more then you will need. Or about $150-200 of material sitting around waiting for a use.

As for glass, Raka also sells that at low prices. A phone call, a credit card # and it's on your doorstep in about 5 days. :)

Dan

adkpaddle said:
I am getting ready to start my stripper canoe and am trying to decide how much it will cost in the long run. Being that epoxy is expensive, I am trying to figure out how much resin and hardener I will need for a 16' canoe. I plan on using west system with a ratio of 5:1.
thanks
IF YOU HAVE NEVER USED EPOXY BEFORE DON'T START WITH WEST SYSTEM.YOU WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE FINISH WHICH IS AMBER COLORED NOT CLEAR AS THEY CLAIM.THE OPEN WORKING TIME IS THE BIGGEST HURDLE TO GET PAST IF WOEKING ALONE.I AM ON CANOE #16 SINCE 2005 AND HAVE TRIED FOUR BRANDS OF EPOXY SO FAR AND MAS SYSTEM RANKS#1 IN COST AND CLEARITY,WEST SYSTEM IS RANKED#4.:)

Which WEST mixture are you talking about? The 106/205 and 105/206 do tend to be golden in color and not as clear as some. The WEST 105/207 is the one they specifically make for clear finishing and is quite clear. I used a bunch of it when I rebuilt this sailboat and have used it on strippers ever since it came out. As you can see, the wood is neither amber or cloudy. As long as you stick with a formula designed for clear finishes from one of the major brands (WEST, Raka, System3, Mas) you should be fine. They do have different working characteristics and if you build enough boats you'll likely settle on one that's your favorite.

I'm a pretty loyal WEST user, as I'm comfortable with it after many years and it's never failed me. It holds some significant parts of my iceboat together at 50-60 mph. - so I have a fairly substantial interest in it's quality and structural abilities. WEST will blush, but I've never understood people worrying about amine blush, since all you need to do is take ten minutes and wash it off with water if you waited too long between coats and suspect it's going to be a problem. Cost difference? In the grand scheme of things and considering the overall investment in time and materials required to build a good stripper, buying resin with price as one of the major determining factors never seemed terribly smart to me.

Attachments

• fd682816.jpg
    fd682816.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 508
  • misc.kayaking 002.jpg
    misc.kayaking 002.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 522
My two cents

I have used West System, System 3 and MAS Epoxy on boats ranging from wood strippers to duck boats, sail boats and more, and without a doubt, I have had the best experience with MAS Epoxy. It is simple to work with, has far less odor, good clear finish, non blushing and best of all, you can pick up the phone and get the chemist who invented it on the line if you are having any difficulty at all.

As for the amount that you need, that will vary depending on the cloth weight and layers used, however I send out kits for a 16 footer constantly with One gallon of resin, 1/2 gallon of hardener, 1 qt of wood flour and the calibrated pumps and have never had anyone come back to me for additional materials. You can expect to pay about $130 to $140 for a kit like that. That is for a boat that uses 6 to 8 oz cloth inside and out with a double layer on the bottom.

Resin is one thing you don't want to over order as it will be around for ever. If this is the only boat you plan on building. I don't think you would need more but if you did, it is only a phone call away.

Good luck and post pictures.

Jack

Back