current costs to recanvas ??

Bill Mackey

LOVES Wooden Canoes
It has been 20 years since I last did a recanvas, I'm sure the costs are a lot different today. Can anyone out there give me a ball park figure for the cost of recanvassing a 14' canoe. Canvas, filler,tacks,paint ect.Thanks.

Are you doing this yourself?

Retail cost should be about:

canvas:$12-15 per yard. You will need about 6 yards for a 16' canoe.
filler: $50-80 gal
stainless steel staples ( I gave up on tacks for this a long time ago) $16 a pack.
paint, depend upon the grade, but figure $15-20 liter.
sundries: maybe $50?

Your local prices may vary, so don't take these as set prices, and your specific circumstances may vary.

On the low side

Canvas $60.00
Zinsser filler $20.00
TSC Paint 2 Quarts $20.00
Stapler- depends.
Staples Stainless-see above.
Trip to ER to get staple removed-priceless.
Don't forget sandpaper costs.
or on the high side:
A good traditional filler about $50.00
A good traditional paint about $30.00/quart.

Amortized over 25 years. Pretty inexpensive.

Thats what happens when your vintage

Guess that tells how long ago I did the last one. How about a source for the stainless staples,(I like that idea) anyone in particular.Everything else I have a source available. Just so you will know it was a long time ago, I think my entire cost last time was $80 for everything.

Home Depot

or any home center. 3/8" or 7/16" I use 1/4" for the fastening up the stems. Monel if you can't find stainless. Stainless is easier to tap in with a hammer than monel, which is soft.

Dave Wermuth said:
Canvas $60.00
Zinsser filler $20.00
TSC Paint 2 Quarts $20.00
Stapler- depends.
Staples Stainless-see above.
Trip to ER to get staple removed-priceless.
Don't forget sandpaper costs.
or on the high side:
A good traditional filler about $50.00
A good traditional paint about $30.00/quart.

Amortized over 25 years. Pretty inexpensive.

Dave, what is this Zinsser filler of which you speak?

Zinsser

It is a basement sealer found at the hardware store. You have to get the smooth finish stuff. You don't want a gritty canoe. It has mildewcide (sp) and has been used by another builder I know. I have it on my OT and after ten years it is like new. Zinsser has been around forever. You might find a link if you search this site or google. It's about half the cost of regular filler or probaly the same cost of the stuff you can make yourself. But even at $50-$60 the traditional stuff is not that expensive.

Do I understand correctly that you are using Zinsser as a canvas filler? If so, how many coats, how long to cure before painting? Does anyone else have experience with this?

Yes

I do use it sometimes. I also use Bill Clements filler. The Zinsser cures much faster. I stir it up good and paint it on and repaint till either the gallon is gone or the weave is filled. Two to three coats. It's probably ready for primer and paint in a few days. I usually wait a week or two.

Zinsser

Few would argue with "In a hurry" and "cheap" (a/k/a "quick" and "inexpensive").

Are there any downsides to using Zinsser compared to a traditional-style (a/k/a/ linseed oil based) filler, other than that it is not "traditional"?

Is there any weight difference compared to a traditional style filler?

Are there any reasons (other than Authenticity) not to use Zinsser?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

I can look it up, but do you have any idea about relative weight of Zinsser to standard filler? The idea really looks attractive to me: faster and less expensive, what is the downside?

Zinsser watertight...
$40 a gallon at local big box hardware store.

How does this compare on price to mixing your own filler?

Jamie

little box store

I paid $20.00 / gal at my local hardware store. As far as weight goes, it is about the same I think. Maybe less. The only down side I know of is that it is not strickly traditional. In talking to the two older builders I have met, the formula for fillers has always been the Holy Grail. They always seemed to experiment with different filler methods, etc. I have not had any trouble so far. The stuff does cure faster. Make sure it is smooth. One gallon I bought was gritty and is on my patio now. One thing is for sure. Bill Clements filler is proven. Zinsser has been around a long time but there's that little bit of doubt. MY OT HW has been ten years and is still perfect.

think about everything...

canvas - $80.00
Filler - $80.00
primer - $20.00
paint - $20.00
sandpaper(3M wet/dry) - $20.00
bedding compound - 1 pt $??
staples - $??
spot putty - $??
thinner - $15.00
tack cloth, paint strainers, etc. - $15.00
brushing additive(Penetrol) - $15.00
1 six pack of Sam Adams - $9.00

Hint - Ive found it helpful to lay on 2 coats of primer after the filler, only sanding lightly after each. Then 1 coat of paint. Break out the wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand until you see mostly primer. Then add coats of paint and dry sand so you dont sand too far exposing the weave of the canvas. Wet sanding really cuts the paint fast and you want a more controlled situatiuon as you build up coats. Any good autobody supply store sells a 3M sandpaper that the pros use to sand dry. Its a red/pink color and works great and doesnt clog up like regular sandpaper. Its in a roll and is a couple inches wide.

Back