Canoe ID Help Please

Gary

Canoe Grampa
Hi folks, I purchased this canoe recently and am puzzled as to its builder? It was to be a chestnut, but its gunwale profiles match a Peterborough? It is 14' long, 33" beam, 13" depth and a modest tumblehome. Seats are babiche laced but could be an add on as they are poorly done. Ribs are 1 1/2" wide with 1 1/2" spacing. It has a shoe keel as well. Inwales were scarfed and have come apart thus the poor shape in the end profile picture. There is a serial number for what its worth 5200 stamped on the stern stem. Any ideas are appreciated.
Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3122.JPG
    DSCN3122.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 338
  • DSCN3123.JPG
    DSCN3123.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN3124.JPG
    DSCN3124.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN3121.JPG
    DSCN3121.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCN3126.JPG
    DSCN3126.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 300
The 3rd picture shows a decal on the deck. Is it readable?
Have you stripped the finish off the inner stems enough to see if there are identifying marks stamped there?
And if I were you I'd immediately remove that seat - it seems to too short as the hull profile looks badly distorted.

Hi Howie, seat is gone, first thing I did. I'm going to replace both rails anyway so hope to get the correct shape back. There is nothing on either stem but those numbers mentioned 5200. I was told that the sticker was a Chestnut snowshoe label unfortunately its not readable. I really don't think this is a Chestnut though? The gunwale profiles, the decks all suggest its closer to a Peterborough but I'm no expert? Thanks Gary

Hi Dan, sorry I'm a bit slow, are you suggesting that at some point there was collaboration between these two canoe companies in the building of canoes? As a Canadian that would be really special to have a bit of history from both these legendary companies.
Thanks, Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, in the 1920s, Chestnut, Peterborough, and Canadian Canoe Company were collected under the holding company Canadian Watercraft Limited. Canvas canoes were built in all three factories, but any of these were known to build for another when demand required it.

Learn more about Peterborough, Chestnut, and CCC.

Also look for a copy of Roger Macgregor's When the Chestnut was in Flower. It's out of print but used copies can be found.

Dan

Thanks Dan, very interesting. I am on a waiting list with a used book store I purchase from for the next available copy of that book. I'll do more research with the links provided. Much appreciated, Gary

Back