1944 Yankee-Work in progress

Paul East

PFE1944
My Grandfather bought this new in 1944. My first canoe restoration. Really enjoying it.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 669
  • cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 654
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 662
  • dd.jpeg
    dd.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 698
  • ddddd.jpeg
    ddddd.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 656
  • eee.jpeg
    eee.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 664
  • ffff.jpg
    ffff.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 650
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 658
  • gggg.jpg
    gggg.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 660
  • hh.jpg
    hh.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 670
More pics.

Attachments

• hhh.jpg
    hhh.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 553
  • k (1).jpg
    k (1).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 606
  • l (1).jpg
    l (1).jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,331
  • l (3).jpg
    l (3).jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 560
  • l (5).jpg
    l (5).jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 561
  • ooo (2).jpg
    ooo (2).jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 575
  • ooo (5).jpg
    ooo (5).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 633
  • oooo.jpg
    oooo.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 575
  • p (12).jpg
    p (12).jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 553
Tried to reproduce the war era slat seats.

Attachments

• hhhh.jpg
    hhhh.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 526
  • hhhhh.jpg
    hhhhh.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 569
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 549
  • p (10).jpg
    p (10).jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 576
  • p (11).jpg
    p (11).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 522
Ready for an oil bath.

Attachments

• Q (1).jpg
    Q (1).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 558
  • Q (2).jpg
    Q (2).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 492
  • Q (3).jpg
    Q (3).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 537
  • Q (4).jpg
    Q (4).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 494
Boiled Linseed oil applied. Going in for shoulder surgery next week so canoe will have 6 weeks to dry. should be ready for new canvas by then.

Attachments

• S.jpg
    S.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 552
  • SS (1).jpg
    SS (1).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 546
  • SS (5).jpg
    SS (5).jpg
    162 KB · Views: 544
  • SS (8).jpg
    SS (8).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 550
Very nice work! And very impressive results. Well done, Paul.

I'm undertaking something similar on the family Richardson- first time restoration and having fun. Just wish I had a heated garage/workshop to work in...

Bruce

Paul,

Thank you for the post, I am undertaking my first restoration, a 1924 OTCA from my father. I am currently working on the stems and your photos are an excellent reference! I bent my first inwale yesterday and it was nearly a disaster. My steam box had multiple failures as I used PVC hose connection that failed during the steam. I think this caused some issues with the the wood and one end of my inwale cracked, but I think I can epoxy it back into shape as it is on the underside and near the bow stem.

I did learn that it is clear how much I need to learn!

Michael

I will have outwales to make and bend, maybe in April. I plan on soaking them in water for several days before I steam. I will post how goes.

Paul,

My steam box had multiple failures as I used PVC hose connection that failed during the steam.

Michael

After finding out the hard way that the accordion-pleated hose used by some shop vacuums will not stand up to the heat of steam, I tried the similar-looking replacement washing machine drain hose sold at Home Depot works just fine. I don't know what kind of plastic it is -- I tried it because it looks and feels like the hose that comes with the Wagner wall paper steam remover. The wash machine hose does the job, and is inexpensive. I had tried auto heater hose, but it was far to stiff (and more expensive).

cr s IMG_1516.JPG

cr s IMG_1523.JPG

Something about seeing a red gas can on a burner makes me nervous. I bought a 15ft RV sewer hose to steam the outwales in. I poured boiling water on it and seemed to hold up. I guess I will find out unless you already know it will fail.

I started with the red gas can on a similar propane burner. After it rusted out, I converted a propane tank into an electric boiler for steaming wood. :eek:

Something about seeing a red gas can on a burner makes me nervous. I bought a 15ft RV sewer hose to steam the outwales in. I poured boiling water on it and seemed to hold up. I guess I will find out unless you already know it will fail.

The red gas can makes me a bit nervous also. I cobbled the steaming rig up in a hurry to have it for the poly tube steaming* demonstration by John Fitzgerald and me at the 2016 Assembly. I'm planning to paint it with black heat-resistant paint, and paint a "water only" warning on it -- one of those round tuit projects. Now, a propane tank on a turkey fryer burner :eek: -- that's something to be nervous about!

I am unfamiliar with RV sewer hose. Let us know how it works. Unless you really need a 15' hose for some reason, though, a shorter length will generally be more efficient -- less opportunity for the steam to cool, less hose to trip over.

* < http://forums.wcha.org/index.php?th...-a-polyethylene-tube-part-1.12999/#post-66199 >

Hello,just a quick question. Getting ready to apply the canvas, do I need to prewash the canvas first? Is there any advantage in doing so?

20180423_182031.jpg 20180423_182049.jpg T (2).jpg T (3).jpg TT (3).jpg
Ok, back to work after 7 weeks off with rotator cuff surgery. Put canvas on this weekend. Like other people have said,it is not as hard as you first might think.

Looks GREAT Paul. I have be neglecting my project for a long time and I have barely started. Looking at your progress makes me want to get back at it. Thanks for posting.

RV sewer hose works well. Collapses as needed. Holds up well enough and is cheap and easy to store. PVC pipe melts. Dust collection hose works too but doesn't collapse, and is more costly.I'm using a wagner wallpaper steamer these days. My real gas cans are plastic. My steam generator gas can was old metal and red but gave up the ghost. Propane or electric hot plate does the trick too. I like the wagner. It was five bucks at a garage sale.

Great pictures! Please tell me this isn't your first one? Pictures really do help explain a lot. I restored my hull after shoulder surgery...great therapy (?).

This is my first canoe restoration and second shoulder surgery.I have been real happy with the results so far.This may be my new favorite hobby.

Burned off the fuzz,applied the filer (4 coats of Childers-Chill Seal),light sanding and first coat of Interlux primer.

Attachments

• TTT (1).jpg
    TTT (1).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 468
  • TTT (6).jpg
    TTT (6).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 467
  • U (4).jpg
    U (4).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 471
  • U (5).jpg
    U (5).jpg