Chestnut ID

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
Today I picked up my first Chestnut and I would like to know the specific model it is if possible. There is a serial number on the stem 36 9720 if that helps at all. It is 15 ft long, 36" wide and 12 1/2" deep. The ribs are between 2 and 2 1/2" wide and the the first cant rib is 4" wide. It has a keel and has never been worked on other than a new coat of paint years ago. The seller called it a Ranger model? It was purchased in Canada in the 40's by his grandparents. Thanks for any info. Joe IMG_2479 (1).JPG IMG_2482 (1).JPG IMG_2484 (1).JPG IMG_2478.JPG IMG_2481.JPG

Have a look here, https://woodencanoemuseum.org/catalogs. The several Chestnut Canoe Co. catalogs will have plenty of detail regarding their models.

I am currently restoring what I believe is a Chestnut Ranger, the 15’ iteration of the Chestnut Prospector lineup. Dimensions cited in several catalogs forma Ranger are, 15’ x 35” x 13.5”.

The number is consistent with a 1960s Chestnut. The dimensions split the difference between the Ranger and the Bobs Special. These two are easily differentiated by the thickness of the ribs.

Thanks for the great info! The outer gunwale has a splice directly in the center of the canoe, so does this help to date it as well? Dan what is the difference in the thickness of the ribs? Thanks Joe

Thanks for the info but now I’m confused. After measuring it again, My canoe has the dimensions of a prospector: 15’x 35”wide and 131/2 deep, but it has 1/4” ribs, tapered keel and caned seats like a Bob’s. Did chestnut take special orders on things like keels seats etc?

You've got a Bobs. Dimensions in catalogs are often a guideline, with models varying sometimes greatly. Additionally, special requests happened frequently. I went to look at one the elderly owner ordered almost 3" deeper that stock, and paid accordingly. Boat was mint since in anything resembling a wind it was like a sail, and thus never used. That Bobs' portly shape is unmistakable

Thanks for clearing up my confusion! Not that it changes much but I’m glad to know what I have for sure. We all can’t have build sheets available like Old Town!

Back