Old Town serial number help needed. Thanks!

Finsandgills

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I was hoping someone might have some info on a old town with the serial number 161693 16?

400512596.jpg

The Old Town canoe with serial number 161693 is a 16 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, Otca model with and half ribs. It was built between February and June, 1954. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on June, 14th, 1954 to Burlington, Vermont. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. The canoe in the picture does not appear to have half ribs so you may want to verify the digits in each end again. Can you attach some pictures of the serial numbers and the decal on the bow deck? Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• 161693.gif
    161693.gif
    47.3 KB · Views: 197
Thanks! I will get some pics posted tomorrow. There is no decal on the bow deck. I was given a metal plate that needs to be tacked onto the bow, or at least that's what I was told it was for. I'll get a pic of that also.

Hello and welcome--

If you'd rather have a decal, they are sold through our on-line store, and now that you know when your canoe was built you can get one like the one that's missing.

If you'd like to know more about the history of the company that built your canoe, Sue Audette's book, "Old Town, Our First Hundred Years", is also available through the WCHA store and most booksellers, eBay, Amazon, and public libraries.

Kathy

Here's pics of the serial numbers on both the bow and stern. I also included a pic of the metal plate I was given for this canoe, I hope it's correct but let me know what you think. From what I can tell the numbers do look like I originally thought 161693 16 but also let me know what you think once you look at it. I also took a pic of the ribs of the canoe. thanks again for all your help.

I don't see your pictures yet but I can tell you that the metal deck plates were not used before 1979 so you may not want to put it on a 1950s canoe. You may also want to check to see if there are any signs of half ribs or a floor rack having been there originally.

Benson

Here's the pics

Sorry about that. Got distracted and totally forgot to attach the pics. I'm not sure what half ribs are so I'm hoping this closer pic of the inside can give you some insight.
400584105.jpg

400584109.jpg

400584113.jpg

400584115.jpg

Half Ribs

I finally figured out what half ribs are. They would have gone between the full ribs in the pictures I saw. I do not see any indication that this canoe ever had them. The distance between the ribs is only 1 1/2 inches so the half ribs would have had to be pretty skinny to fit between them. Do you think this canoe has been totally rebuilt without using half ribs?

Back