White ash topcoat

Nessmuck

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I have some white ash thwarts and gunwales ....I have been using Helsman spar varnish...am I wrong in using this product? What do you folks use ...? I have been getting some grey streaking on the wood..it's not pretty looking. Thanks

I have used Helmsman but consider it far inferior to Epifanes. I used Helmsman on a plywood seat in my gheenoe this year and already it is delaminating and turning color. I think it should be thinned well and used as sealer first. then as topcoat. It works, but not nearly as well. I also think it tends to peal and degrade all through its depth whereas epifanes wears off from the top down. Now, that's just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Helmsman is a polyurethane product and not a true varnish like Epifanes and as such I think it does a great job for being a polyurethane as it adds 'depth' and gives a 'none plastic' feel to the finish. By the same token it's not made to leave out in the sun for a long period of time. I've been professionally finishing wood products for 26 years and I haven't found any product that will withstand the sun for long periods of time. I've had good success with Helmsman's gloss and semi-gloss products. I guess it all depends on your project and the amount of money in your budget.

Back