When Is Too Far Gone?

Scot T

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I was reading the earlier thread concerning the Morris (Morris- Really Ragged-Please Advise) and it brought to mind a question. How far gone does a canoe have to be before you would consider the restoration too costly in time and money to be worth it? Where is that point where you say “You know what, this is beyond repair, I really want one of these so I will take the time and money and make a NEW reproduction.”? I’m not asking for a definitive answer, just a discussion of where you personally (meaning anyone who chooses to answer), would build a reproduction rather than replace a myriad of parts.

I know a guy like Rollin would say something like “Give me a rib and I’ll make you a whole canoe” (not correctly quoted I’m sure but…close in spirit). To my mind the canoe that prompted this question sounds pretty close to a complete rebuild. But someone is willing to give it a go. Where do YOU draw that line?

Having restored 1.5 "basket case" Old Towns, I guess the answer is personal, not financial.

If the answer were purely financial, I'd say if the boat is too far gone for a reasonable restoration, then go to one of the many new boat builders who build drop-dead-beautiful W/C canoes at an incredibly reasonable price for the materials and quality of workmanship.

Let me pose these questions:

Is it a rare boat?
Is it a personal boat with a family history and sentimental value?
Do you get satisfaction out of rescuing a boat from the burn pile?
Do you enjoy the mental and physical challange of the restoration process?
Do you like to say "I did that"?

A yes to any one or combination of these questions gets me thinking about cleaning out the shop again!

I was waiting for some of the old hands to respond but.....

I've only "been into" W/C for about 5-6 years, and have only finished 4 so far and have a number waiting for attention.

When I 1st started looking for a project, I didn't find any for about the 1st year, and I would have taken anything in about any condition.

But now that I've done/have a few, I've got'en a lot more choosy, and have even passed on several. The worst I passed on was a Shell lake that had been glassed, literally every thing was rotten. It was only good for burning. Others I've passed on were models I already have, ie, OT HW's, though I did get a 2ed Guide because it was in better condition then the one I already had.

On the other hand, I did talk myself into unburdening Dan M of a old White that probably should be burned, but we don't see many White's here and it didn't take much effort to move it from his trailer to my car.

As for time/money required to restore a given canoe, I don't pay too much attention to either. In general, any parts needed for W/C canoes are cheap compared to just about any other hobbie, and I do it because I enjoy bringing an old canoe back to life and I don't consider/think about the time spent.

With that said, I only restore them for myself and haven't yet parted with any, though I've considering it with one it have.

I have no interest in building or having built a repro W/C, though one of those all wood rib & plank canoes is appealing.

Dan

Back