What paddles to use ???

Nessmuck

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I know it not a wooden canoe ,but I have a Scott HB 21 and wonder what type and length paddle I should keep in it ,just in case. Thanks

Hello Nessmuck,
Every one has a personal preference on paddles that seems to evolve over years. The length depends on your size, height, strength, and where you paddle. You may want a different paddle for lakes than you would use in a swamp. Why not try a few different lengths and types before you buy if possible?
MackyM

For a canoe that large – 56” beam, 47” waterline beam, bow height 34", stern height 22.5 inches, 250 pounds, if I've got the spec right – I would want a paddle longer than usual. A wide blade (8” or more) would help in close-quarter maneuvering, but you might want something a bit narrower for a long haul. A common way to determine paddle shaft length is to sit in a chair, and measure from the seat to your nose. For this canoe, I would add at least 8 inches to that. Total length is that plus the blade length.

Presumably you want the paddle for when your engine conks out – you might consider carrying 2 paddles, because this boat would be a beast to paddle solo for any distance.

Thanks for all the input. Greg ... Yes it is a beast and the paddles are for when the motor conks out.If I was doing a river trip I think I would throw a small kicker motor in it as a back up LOL.

Back