What model Thompson

fred capenos

Canoe Pilot
If this canoe is in fact a Thompson, does anyone know what model it is. Here are some facts about this canoe:

15 feet 11 inches long in full dress
Approximate weight 65 pounds
31 inch beam (outside of planking to outside of planking)
12- 3/4 " deep with the floor braced out to no rocker
The number OX2121 stamped into the bow stem
1 inch tumblehome
15/16 " wide by 5/16" thick ribs on 3-1/4" centers
Half ribs are the same with stringers across their ends
Slight bevel on edge of ribs and 45 degree bends on their ends
Mahogany rails and decks
Metal strap under deck
Outside stems and standard keel
Thwarts and seats relocated and not original

I can't find any Thompson model that matches a 16 feet canoe with a 31 inch beam and is 12-3/4 " deep. Thanks in advance Fred

Attachments

• DSC06733.jpg
    DSC06733.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC06734.jpg
    DSC06734.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC06738.jpg
    DSC06738.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC06739.jpg
    DSC06739.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 323
Here are a few more photos

Attachments

• DSC06694.jpg
    DSC06694.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC06696.jpg
    DSC06696.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC06704.jpg
    DSC06704.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC06711.jpg
    DSC06711.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 269
That is your typical late model Hiawatha model. Most likely 1941-1943 as that is when the half ribs no longer fully fill the space between the ribs.

Dan

Thanks Dan. If I add the outwales to the beam length that will give me the 33". Then I'll push the bottom down another 1/4" and I'll have the 13" depth. The canoe was badly hogged when we got it. I've already turned it over, covered it and steamed the bottom after bracing it into shape. I will replace 21 broken full ribs and all of the 1/2 ribs. That will take care of the hogging. Fred

Attachments

• DSC06731.jpg
    DSC06731.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 234
Fred,
Early Hiawatha's had full width ribs and full width half ribs, making a solid floor with no gaps between the ribs and half ribs. I believe later production had narrowed the ribs and half ribs somewhat, allowing a gap between them. Your canoe has ribs and half ribs that are narrowed even more. They remind me of the narrow ribs that Thompson used in their canvas covered row boats. I've seen only one like it that I recall. I wonder if yours was possibly built in the Cortland NY plant toward the end of the model build out. You are only 300+ miles from Cortland. The serial number is odd, too. Never seen a Peshtigo plant canoe with a serial number.

Dave and Martin,

Thanks for your interest in our Hiawatha. I think that we are in pretty good shape now with the exception of the seats and thwarts. can someone post pictures and dimensions of both seats, how they are installed and are they caned or planked. Fred

The seats members on my Hiawatha are white maple 13/16 thick and 1 11/16" wide. The stern seat is a different size than the bow seat. The stern seat is 7 1/2 " by 9 1/4" measured interior and the bow seat is 6 3/4" by 11 1/4" measured interior. Seats are installed with solid wood risers, mine are cedar.

Attachments

• Hiawatha_restore010.jpg
    Hiawatha_restore010.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Hiawatha_restore012.jpg
    Hiawatha_restore012.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Hiawatha_restore024.jpg
    Hiawatha_restore024.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 247
Thanks Martin,

That bit of information will allow me to make the seat frames. However, I'll need more info on the seat mountings. Are we talking about long carriage bolts or slotted screws? Are the seat hangers that are shown in the yellow canoe original? Can anyone show a better picture of the seat hanger and are both seats installed the same way? Thanks again. Fred

I just got one too.

I have a recently acquired Hiawatha with half ribs and solid floor. My seats are original and I measured them carefully. But it's out in the barn and it's dark and cold out there. I can provide and Between Martin's and mine, you should get a consensus.

What I don't have at the moment is width(s) as the thwarts were left off and it set for a couple years and opened up.

The stern seat is hing like an Old Town. The bow seat has a solid spacer that spans between the seat bolts. The one I measured is 3/4" x 2 1/2". They appeat to be red cedar. I have used both bronze carraige bolts that stay on top of the inwale, or slotted stainless bolts that are countersunk and bung'd.
Thompson used the countersunk method at the factory.

Attachments

• 100_0817.jpg
    100_0817.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Hello Dave,

I wondered when you would jump in. Thanks,,,, Width won't be an issue. This canoe is as solid as a rock except for the floor. Absolutely no rot anywhere.

How far down on the list is the Indian Girl? Are you planning to attened the assembly this year?

Fred

Hi Fred

I have a Peterborough Northboy Flatback to get back together for a guy. And then a possible restore from another guy. the IG is 75% stripped but who knows?

Back