What is the recommended way to best store a 18 ft canoe?

Carlod

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi I just purchased an really old canoe, and need to store it in a garage.
The garage is pretty full. With two kayaks, an Avon and six bikes.
Thinking of pulleys and straps attached to the rafter.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Will take some pictures an post the little story I know about this canoe in acre days. I am still in the process of learning about what restoration was done.

I have had pretty good luck hanging canoes in the garage. I use pulleys and rope. I like to attach the rope to the seats (or carry thwart if present) and hang them right side up. Depending upon whether you have a finished ceiling, right side up allows the bow and stern to go up past the bottom plane of the framing. That let's me pull them up higher and makes more room. It also prevents hogging. I also have tucked small canoes in the rafters. I have Fox stuck in the framing above the 4 I have hanging. Kayaks would be easy to shove up in the rafters.
I have also made wall mounted racks that that I can park canoes on. That has allowed me to use the space over the back door, my freezer and work bench to store a canoe.
I have also found that the space between my garage stalls is wide enough for me to keep a plug and a canoe on a set of custom horses I made to straddle the plug. When we park in the garage we park towards the outside walls so that opening the car doors doesn't ding the canoe. The plug is on a couple movers dolly's.
In my second bay I have a small Thompson on a trailer. I have a canoe sitting on top of it at present. I am trying to figure out where to put it....point being, I am willing to bet you have more room than you realize.

Back