Watertight all wood planking question?

Easternrivers

Traditionalist
This may be a dumb question, but I've seen some wonderful old boats of all descriptions and of course there is no fiberglass or canvas on these types of boats ie: guideboats old strip canoes etc.

I'm wondering if the builders used any type of compound to ensure the watertight joints between strips or smooth planking on the guideboats.(I love how they look!). or is it all in the tight joinery?
I'd love to try building one of this style someday.

Thanks

Good tight joinery for lapstrake canoes and guideboats. Some builders might use some flavor of bedding compound in the garboard seam and gains. Same for some traditional strip-built boats. Other strip-built canoes may have had a thin cotton cord as caulking, and some used a compressed seam or splined construction.

On the whole, good joinery and good varnish is all that is really needed.

Here is a picture showing some of the classic all wood canoe construction methods (mostly Canadian). Also a picture of the flush metal batten and picture of a canoe.

Vanish was the only thing that made them water tight.

Paul

Attachments

• Canoe construction.jpg
    Canoe construction.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 640
  • W_Dean-metallic-joint.jpg
    W_Dean-metallic-joint.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 530
  • IMAG0302.jpg
    IMAG0302.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 540
Like Dan and Paul said; Tight joints and plenty of varnish. Unless it's a fresh varnish job the canoe will still take on a tiny bit of water when you first put it in the water but, the seams quickly swell and become water tight. Tip- When varnishing be sure to have the canoe tilted at an angle that allows gravity to flow the varnish into the heart of the joints.

:) Mark Morrall
Morrall River Films
Check us out on Youtube and Facebook

Back