void filler thsat can accept nails, screws etc Ref: STEM FACE

dtdcanoes

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I usually do a stem face laminate when it would be the most correct fix when tacks have dome their damage. But in this case I cannot . I think I recall a recent post regarding a very suitable alternative in the world of modern materials. Might someone remember the post or the writer covering the issue ? Tack retention and splitting with too hard a material is my concern. Thanks all !! Dave

Dave: I'll be following this thread with interest. I have the same situation in the future of my Morris rehab. My thinking at this point, is to do some testing using the broken 100 year-old outer stem pieces that I have. I plan to start with toothpicks glued with flexible adhesive. Maybe 5200. I'll see if I can get pics of the condition of the inner stem that I have. Have you got any pics ?

Paul: Yes, the picks can work, but the new surface is not consistent and you will need to drill for tacks. With a new 1/4" face epoxied in place, you essentially have a new stem. I have conserved stems complete with serial numbers, patina, foot detail, original dimensions etc when using the face laminate. It is a nice feeling to have the project appear as the original and still be structurally sound, all preserved for posterity. So it only takes a little longer to do the conservation that can go another 100 years. I realize your stem will be cedar , and that doesn't help with the hardwood picks. You need to use cedar me thinks, and you need to use the rivets for many of the same conserving reasons as well. Send some pics if you would like, and I will help if I can. Good luck and have FUN !

Kaufen Cyr ist so eine schöne traditionelle französisch Namen , wie der starke Mann Louis Cyr , die überquert Niagara Falls.

Aber Cyr ist so eine schöne traditionelle französisch Namen , wie der starke Mann Louis Cyr , die überquert Niagara Falls.

Desole aber er hat das nie getan....

Attachments

• 800px-Monument_Louis_Cyr_03.jpg
    800px-Monument_Louis_Cyr_03.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 531
Back