Varnish removal method?

owlsroost

Fishing Guide
I'm sure this has been asked before. Has anybody got experience in using one of the paint removal lights? Here is a link: http://www.silentpaintremover.com I've seen it used on a floor in a sporting lodge where the build up of gray paint was many, many coats over many, many years old. It only does about a 5" X 12" area at a time but once you get it going it is 20-30 seconds per set up and then the paint/varnish is all bubbled up and ready to be scraped. If it would work on a canoe it would be less mess than toxic liquid removers. IMHO. Having not tried it I am just wondering if someone here has.

Has anybody got experience in using one of the paint removal lights? Here is a link: http://www.silentpaintremover.com

I searched the related threads and did not see anything. I also don't recall any previous discussions about this. They do suggest that it is useable with varnish and recommend pre-coating with linseed oil.

From their site:
Other Applications include:

Wooden boats. This is an ideal tool for removal of varnish on wooden boats. Thick layers of varnish and paint can be removed with a sharp scraper after heating. Thin layers can be removed by heating and buffing with steel-wool. You can also utilize raw linseed oil to soften varnish to be removed. Do not use "turpentine" to dilute boiled linseed oil. Turpentine will leave a residue after it dries that is not recommended and may have negative impact on the adhesion of various paint. Apply the raw linseed oil and let it soak in for 24 hours. Reheat and buff with steel wool. The Silent Paint Remover also works on removing bottom paint. Utilize the raw linseed oil, heat and scrape.

Do not follow their advice about steel wool! Never use steel wool on your canoes.

It's going to be tough to stuff that that thing up under the decks!

Last edited:
I have no experience with this kind of thing, but have a few skeptical thoughts and questions after looking over their web site:

The basic heat units seem expensive -- hundreds of $$ -- and seem designed for flat surfaces, whether horizontal or vertical. Of course, a canoe interior is seriously curved, not flat, and it combines horizontal, vertical, and everything in between. For much of a canoe’s interior, the heat unit could not just be set down as on a flat floor, or held in place with a simple fixture as with a flat wall.

Unless you can rig some way to easily rotate the canoe through 180 degrees so the heat unit can always be just set down, you will end up holding the unit in place a lot of the time while it heats that little rectangle of varnish. The “super light” unit is 3 lbs. -- and 3 lbs. could get heavy to hold for the time needed to strip a canoe. I didn’t see a weight spec for the other units.

But you can invest hundreds of more $$ for various of their “hands free” gizmos that hold the heating unit in place. It is clear from their demo video and illustrative photos that they expect “hands free” devices to be used on vertical surfaces. With a fixture, a heated 5” x 12” area of a wall can be scraped while the next area is heated. Without a fixture, for much of a canoe interior, it could mean removing the heating unit and setting it aside after heating each little rectangle, then scraping, then holding the heating unit over the next 5” x 12” area -- and repeat. Seems like it may be slower and more tedious than other methods of stripping.

A canoe interior surface is also not level -- it alternates between the surface of the planking and the surface of the ribs ¼ “ higher (+/-) than the planking. I don’t know if this matters in practice, but I would expect the rib’s top surface to heat up faster than the planking surface -- but maybe the difference here is so small as to not matter. However, because the sides of the ribs would seem to be receiving very little direct radiant heat, I would expect the rib sides to heat up quite a bit slower than either the planking surface or the rib top surface. I would wonder if you would not be scorching or burning the surfaces of the ribs before the varnish on the sides of the ribs was soft. Maybe this is not a problem in reality, but the skeptic in me would want a good answer from someone with actual use in a wooden canoe or wooden boat interior -- not just on the flat floors or walls of a building -- before I would spend the amounts of money called for.

As near as I can see, there just ain’t any easy or fun way to strip paint or varnish.

Thanks for your input MGC. I would agree that the light probably will be inconvenient in the tight areas and standard stripper procedures will need to be incorporated it some areas.

I guess that's why am asking Greg. I have no first hand knowledge and I am looking for somebody that does. As far as expense I am fortunate to have a friend who has offered to let me use his machine. But I am reluctant for all the reasons that you have mentioned. Does the varying heights of materials create a problem? However the up side to me is not having to deal with the toxic material created by using DCM based strippers. Perhaps the only way to get an answer is to try it and work my way into it slowly. I would much rather get somebody else's first hand knowledge than use a trial and error method.

My other concern is what effect this much heat will have on old ribs and planks.

I am fortunate to have a friend who has offered to let me use his machine. But I am reluctant for all the reasons that you have mentioned.

What do you have to lose? It only heats the wood to 3-500 degrees and sucks out every drop of moisture while boiling the varnish off of the boat. I suspect the reason they want you to use oil with the heat is to encourage heat transfer and to try and lift the varnish away?

Seriously, I wold give it a shot....unless you are stripping a precious boat.

If it does not work, Andre will tan up with it. The light is fading fast North of the border...geese are flying and the snow is coming.

The geese around here are too fat to take to the air, and likely have celiac by now. I'd take a few in season, but i hate the taste of Wonder bread. ;););)

I tried one with limited success. A friend has one and just for fun I tried it on the interior of my OT Double End boat that was painted with two coats of enamel. The unit only works on flat surfaces that are an even distance from the heating elements and best with several layers of paint rather than just one or two. It did help remove some paint but is useless in tight areas and tight curves. A hand held heat gun would work just as well. It is not a substitute for stripper. Glad I didn't buy the thing.

Jim

Back