Update on Ralph Kohn

dmd421

Debbie Darga
As many of you may have heard Ralph Kohn had a serious stroke I believe January 30th. The Dr's. gave him no hope of recovery. Ralph is a fighter and proved those Dr.s wrong. Here is the update today:
> YAHOO!!!! Ralph moving to rehab today. Room 554 still here at McLaren hospital in Flint. Now the hard work begins. They're going to wean him off the vent altogether, and physical, occupational and speech therapy commence. He's ready!!!
Keep up the prayers, they certainly are working!

Update for 2-13
Today was a neutral
day. Ralph has another fever and has slept all day. Seems to be trying to wake up now. They'll be doing a CT scan later this evening to reassess the bleed. Hopefully that will show signs of disolving.
Keep him in your prayers
Shery

Please join with us in sending our love and prayers to Shery and the family of Ralph Kohn. He passed away this morning 03-02. Ralph has served on the WCHA Board and has been a member for 32 years and never missed an assembly. Have a beautiful paddle our friend.

Ralph will be greatly missed by many of us. I had the pleasure of paddling with him on the N Branch of the AuSable in May 2012. That may have been the last time he paddled his bark canoe. It was a wonderful day and a great paddle. I will always remember Ralph coming down stream with that great smile of his.

We joined the same year, missing him won't describe it. I'm so sad, words don't say it. I will miss you so much Ralphie. Going up to his cabin was the best. Michigan paddles were the best. The assembly was the best. Because Ralph was the best.

It is with a great deal of sadness that I write this remembrance of Ralph. Ralph was always upbeat and a joy to be around. He knew everyone, and was never too busy to spend time talking to anyone. Some recollections of Ralph; Once on the way to the assembly, he and Drake camped in my front yard . He was driving his 1971 Cadillac convertible and it lost its brake fluid. No problem; just a minor inconvenience. Once at the assembly he was by himself and was going to camp on the point at Paul Smiths. The security very quickly put a stop to that. Fortunately; I was alone in a double room so he stayed in the other bunk. One assembly he rode with somebody who was in a hurry to leave and became extremely agitated that Ralph wasn't quite ready. Ralph told hm to go on ! He would find a ride with somebody else.
I missed him yesterday @QWS because he was always there, and I'll miss his grin . He had a way of keeping things in perspective and knowing what was important. Gil

At our first Assembly at Franklin Pierce in 2010, Deborah and I did not know what to expect, and didn’t really know anyone, because Kathy Klos and Denis Kallery, with whom we had expected to share a suite, could not make it. But we had the luck, because of the last minute shuffling of room assignments, to be placed in the same suite with Ralph -- and Ken Kelly and Chris Pearson -- all strangers to Deborah and me at that time. But in large part because of Ralph’s great sense of easy humor and ability to tell a tale (and an ample supply of adult beverages), over the few evenings of that Assembly we got a special introduction into the fellowship of the WCHA, and at the subsequent Assemblies, Ralph was always a special bright point for us. We did not know Ralph long, but Deborah and I will miss him.

Ralph had a way of making you feel that you were a very special friend. We'll miss him.
Mark Z.

Thank you all for the good juju for my dad Ralph Kohn. Many of you might not remember me, but I used to go to the "canoe ins" as we used to call them. I'm hoping to continue his legacy with the canoes and am hoping that at the 2014 Assembly my dad will be remembered. Thank you all, Bree Kohn

Hello Bree,

It's good to know you'll be carrying on your dad's legacy. He was a special man and I think for many of us, he'll be "with us" as we paddle those places and attend those events where memories of his smile will always exist.

See you at Assembly 2014!

Kathy

I'm very sad and will miss Ralph too. Following up on Greg's post...another good Ralph story and example of his generous, always friendly nature. At Assembly 2011, arriving early - Tues night - I'm lucky enough to be with Greg and Deborah, plus Debbie and Mike Darga, and we see this beautiful vintage launch touring the Lake at Paul Smiths...guess who....and who asks us to join in the fun. Photos below. One of many great stories to remember Ralph with.

Attachments

• DSCF0013.jpg
    DSCF0013.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCF0015.jpg
    DSCF0015.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCF0014.jpg
    DSCF0014.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCF0017.jpg
    DSCF0017.jpg