Update on Hugh Clark

dmd421

Debbie Darga
From Valerie Gerhart (Hugh's daughter)

With this being WCHA week, I wanted to reach out to those attending and those that have participated in the annual quilt-making...

My Dad, Hugh Clark, is advancing in his journey with dementia. While he seems to recognize me when I stop by each evening to get him ready for bed and tuck him in, I'm not sure he connects that I'm his daughter. I don't keep many extra items in his room as he tends to do things to them to cause damage. However, the one thing that hangs on a large open wall is the quilt that the WCHA ladies made for him many years ago. It is his anchor. If we're in another part of the building or if I take him out for an appointment, often when we return he doesn't recognize things. But when we walk into his room and he sees the quilt, every time his eyes light up and he says, "oh yes, that's mine, I'm 'HC', this is my room." Who would have thought that the gift you all made for him several years ago would be the anchor for him and comfort for all of us as he moves into a confusing and sometimes unfamiliar time of life.

I am so grateful for that quilt. And also for the kindness so many of you have shown in the past with Dad.

God bless all of you and your week of frolicking in your canoes.
Valerie

He has given us all so many gifts that are priceless. I am glad that some of his carvings made it back to the auction to find another WCHA owner and give life again in memories and funds for programs.

Thank you for thinking of us Valerie. We did think of him at Assembly and now you are in our prayers as you embark on this difficult part of his and your life( I've had older inlaws and all had dementia. Be kind to yourself is all I can advise)

Back