Unknown Canoe Help - possible circular deck plate/logo

Murat V

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Posting on behalf of a visitor who came to our Chapter booth at last weekend's Rideau Paddlefest. He's seeking any info on the possible maker of his canoe. Apparently, it was picked up in Toronto in 1982 and then sat in his garage for 30 years. It was then restored by Dave Standfield of Taylor Statten Camps in Algonquin Park. A deck was replaced, the canoe re-canvassed and painted in the Camp Ahmek orange and black theme.

• 15'11" long
• 32" beam at gunnels
• No markings/serial numbers
• very round outward stem profile
• two thwarts, one behind bow seat other is aft of center
• semi-circular deck shape with what appears to be a large round spot where perhaps a plate or decal might have been positioned. A strange brass handle seems to have been mounted creating two distinct holes.

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Benson. I wasn't aware that W.T. Bush made canvas canoes, especially given the early range listed as a builder. The surviving advertisements I've sourced for them only show all-wooden construction. The Orillia Heritage Centre has a board-and-batten Bush sailing canoe in their collection...

2019-07-13-leacock-vintage-boat-show-2 - WT Bush.jpg

What's odd about the decks in the first post is that both of them have remnants of the same sized circular spot. Have you ever head of a maker commonly putting the same decal / metal deck plate on both the bow and stern decks before?

I researched WT Bush extensively, neither a bush canoe nor decal. Dick Persson has the majority of ephemera I collected, including the last 2 water slides that are now reproduced along with a wide board building form
Cheers,

Have you ever head of a maker commonly putting the same decal / metal deck plate on both the bow and stern decks before?

No, I don't ever recall seeing a maker who put the same decal or deck plate on both the bow and stern.

Benson

Wondering if the folks here can concur that the exaggerated stem profiles and off-set thwarts likely means this was some sort of "pleasure" class of canoe. Perhaps the odd circular imprints on both decks were from metal plate/decals from a livery operation of some sort. Might also explain why brass handles were put on each deck as well. Anyway, still awaiting more details and closeup photos from the owner and will hopefully get more clues.

That spot looks more like where a metal or wooden disc was once attached - there is a ridge of varnish around the perimeter, and there is far less darkening within the circle than around it. Plus if one deck has been replaced yet both decks have the same circle, it seems unlikely that this was caused by original decals. The handle isn't mounted to the gunwale; it's just sitting there.

Certainly looks Canadian built, but i would guess from a smaller builder as it doesnt seem to be a Peterborough or Chestnut, perhaps an early Canadian Canoe Co, early Langford, or one of the many regional small builders. Too much stem recurve and the thwart placement is odd, maybe even an earlier Rice Lake or similar.

Back