transom questions

garyh

garyh
Hi
Have removed old transom from my Canadian y-stern (or what chestnut called narrow square stern) and as usual had a couple of surprises. Was expecting a standard router rounded edge, but it starts out almost square at the gunwale gradually getting rounder to about 45 degrees at the keel line- any hints on making this edge, besides lots of trial and error with the spokeshave?
Also, I have the luxury of having a beautiful clear grain peice of douglas fir for new transom- I'm assuming I should orientate grain vertically. I also have considered splitting new transom down the centre and adding dowels or biscuits and gluing.I'm thinking this will prevent bowing- any advice on this idea from some experts greatly appreciated.
As an aside, once transom was off I see under the canvas, along the keel line, is a 8 inch wide strip of canvas- unfilled, just canvas. I'm guessing to add a bit of support to keelline. Now me wonders if there might be something there when I get to canvassing- anyone else seen or done this?
The great thing about having a wood boat is you can truly never say I got nuthin to do!
Thanks for any advice
Gary

Hi Gary,

I did one years ago, and it was trial and error, along with a lot of using an adjustable bevel. It actually goes pretty fast once you get into it.

Were I you, I would NOT use the doug fir. It has piss poor rot resistance, is a very brittle wood, holds fasteners poorly, and splits easily. (in my experience). It is one of my LEAST favorite woods. That being said, I'd frame a roof with nothing else.

The one I did, I used a nice piece of mahogany. It accentuated the lines nicely.

Mark

thanks for advice Mark, and I think I will go with a hardwood instead. Will still use the fir for rails, but am thinking maple or oak for transom now. And I tried out your bevel hint and think I've got it figured out now- it's basically cut at three different angles along the curve. With a little fine tuning with sandpaper I think I'll be able to duplicate it.

I agree with Mark. Mahogany looks nice and is fairly stable. I counter sunk the screws and plugged the holes before finishing.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_1031 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1031 (Small).JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 188
Back