Traditional filler vs Ekofill

gjg

I am considering using Ekofill primarily because I do not have a place to store my canoe for the length of time it takes for the regular filler to dry. However, a local restoration pro suggests that it will not hold up to wear and tear nearly as well as the rock hard silIca, but has not used it. Also, Jerry Stelmok who has written several books on the subject has never even heard of Ekofill...?? I would love to hear from someone with some actual experience with the product.

Been round and round on that one myself - for many of the same reasons. Settled on the traditional stuff and I'm warming up the ol' right arm for the task.

Check out this link: www.prorestorers.org/notes/LinseedTungOil.htm

I wounder if substituting Tung Oil for the Linseed oil in the traditional Alkyd/Silica filler would create a faster curing alternative?

Having used both, I have to agree with the advice you were given. Ecofill is an aircraft product designed to fill aircraft dacron. It does cure quickly and is very light weight. It will work well on a canoe that is gently used. Tom MacKenzie uses it or a similar product on his beautiful dacron covered Loonworks canoes. On a 16 food canoe, you will save about 10 lbs of weight using dacron and ecofill over canvas and traditional filler. You won't want to use the canoe where it may encounter rocks. It's great on the canoes the Freestyle folks use, but those canoes are generally used on inland lakes where scrapes from underwater obstructions are unlikely. It comes down to how and where you plan on using your canoe. For toughness, traditional filler is hard to beat.

I have always used a traditional filler works fine and if you try tou can make in yourself pretty inexpensively. Contact me for a recipie (free info).

GJG,

If you do a search on this forum for " Cecofil & Latex filler method " you should be reassured that cecofil applied to canvas with a latex paint/sparkle 50/50 mix applied over the cecofil has been used successfully by some pretty experienced folks (Chris Merigold & Dan Miller). I also have used it on a canvas covered canoe and all appears to be fine. The latex/sparkle 50/50 mix is really hard and durable.

Ed

Back