Traditional Birch Bark Canoe Length and Width

Only if you can keep a secret continue reading. We are getting ready to attack Quebec City next year for the Semiquincentennial (250th) anniversary of the failed colonial American attack in the fall of 1775. The army sailed from the siege of Boston to the head of tide at Augusta Maine on the Kennebec River. Then about 1100 soldiers took 220 battoes up the river to attack Quebec City. By the time they got there they were eating their shoes.
At the bicentennial the design that was come up with was a shortened Maine Logging Battoe. They (1975) copied a 32 some foot battoe and took the middle 10 feet out of it. Unfortunately they kept the 6' overhanging bow and 4' overhanging stern. When in 2017 we went down the Chaudiere River (in flood) in such a battoe. It loved to broadside rocks, throw the crew out, and swamp. Fortunately because of its banana shaped sheer it would settle swamped and nothing could make it capsize.
So we are trying to come up with a different design. In 1775 a battoe could range from at least 13' to 55'. The one common denominator was a flat bottom. We are piecing together what we can from different sources. The Arnold Expedition battoes weighed as much as 400 lbs and would carry a cargo and crew of 2000 lbs.
About 15 years before the expedition Captain Montresor, a British officer and some Mohawks scouted the route from Quebec City to Fort Halifax on the lower Kennebec. The traditional route went one way to Fort Halifax by Moosehead Lake and returned by the Kennebec-Chaudiere route. Montresor is constantly commenting on the "Abenaki" keeping their carries well hidden and sometimes the Mohawk couldn't find them. At the beginning of the 13 mile Great Carry they came across 7 "Abenaki" with 3 canoes. The "Abenaki" take one canoe and run off and Montresor can't follow them. The beginning of the carry rises about 1,000 feet in 3 miles.
My question to WCHA is what was the typical size of a forest canoe.? My guess is something like 15' if a Mohawk scout can not see a carry through the woods.
Thanks, Rob

Bark canoes came in a broad variety of sizes as shown below. I would encourage you to review The Bark Canoes and Skin Boats of North America, by Edwin Tappan Adney and Howard Irving Chapelle. The link below has a free copy if you want to review it on line. The Peabody Essex Museum has a Penobscot canoe from the 1700s as described at https://wcha.org/catalogs/penobscot/ in great detail. It says "The canoe is 19 feet, 7 3/4 inches overall length, by 3 feet, 1 inch greatest beam and is, like most canoes of similar dimensions, made from one piece of bark." The Penobscots were an "Eastern Abenaki" tribe. Good luck,

Benson

Bar-Harbor-crop.jpg

Last edited:
In 1775 a battoe could range from at least 13' to 55'. The one common denominator was a flat bottom. We are piecing together what we can from different sources.
If you are still considering the bateau idea, the NY State Museum (in Albany) has one which could be the basis for a design. I am not sure if it is currently on display.

Hah! "The Other Rob Stevens"?
I once did a 5 day long trip on the lower French River (Espanola to Spanish) in a 22 ft long (ply) replica of a pointer boat (aka batteau, lumberjack supply boat) built by the Friends of the Spanish River (apparently disbanded; https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/audio/1.2781773 ).
If I recall correctly, it had 6 rowing positions. We used 4, and had 2 paddlers rotate to a canoe, for the more familiar facing-forward position, to explore the shoreline (found a half buried large diameter rotary saw blade) and take photos.
When I last visited the Algonquin Park Logging Museum (https://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/locations/algonquin-logging-museum.php ) there was a pointer boat on display.

To All, thanks for your replies. Great photo!
I reread Montresor and the story about 7 Indians and 3 canoes is not his. Usually the more sure I am the more likely I'm wrong. What Montresor writes is
-"The Abenaquis, jealous of the knowledge of their country, took care to leave but few vestiges of their route.'
-It is to be observed that all the carrying places..... are very difficult, the path often being imperceptible, except to the Indian ....."
- "we could find on the shore no marks of a portage. In vain we coasted along the lake (West Carry Pond) and examined every opening; we were obliged to send Indians into the woods, and it was not till after a long search that they found any way."
I think I finally found a way to describe what I'm looking for. If you've ever carried a sofa up a winding staircase you'll find that even though the staircase is wider than the "beam" of the sofa the winding can make it very difficult. So if you are trying to keep a carry hidden then a short canoe would work better because a larger canoe would require more clearing Boats and canoes evolve around the job they are made for and the water conditions that will be encountered.
I do have tidbits here and there about the Arnold Expedition Battoe. We built one 22' long and about a 4 1/2' beam. It ended up weighing 420 lbs wet and a load of 1775 lbs only settled it about 12". I hope to have time to make a 20 footer and an 18 footer. I also hope to finally write up my research and ideas about the design of the Arnold Expedition Battoe this weekend.

Back