The unavoidable conundrum

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
Over the last few years, since about 1996 I have been into wood canoes. And canoeing has been a part of my life always. Now I have about a few canoes taking up space. I don't paddle as often as I would like. But I like my canoes. However, the thought has occurred to me that my descendants may have difficulty disposing of my canoes when I am gone. That thought has been more on my mind now that I am having health issues. I recall when Denis liquidated his collection. I suppose it is like any other estate, whether it be shotguns, fly rods or canoes. All of which my people will have to deal with. Perhaps I should make a list or leave tags on things. Some things are special and more vaulable than others but the average person would not know. What have you all done to deal with the unavoidable conundrum?

Since my sons are relatively young still I have not had to deal with it, but I have thought about it. I intend to have a discussion with them about which if any they may want and hold onto them. I will them make a concerted effort to reach out to like minded individuals about purchasing them. Would rather pass on a wonderful canoe to someone who will use and appreciate it instead of selling on some of the very high priced auction sites I see to be hung in a McMansion somewhere. Conundrum it is.

I keep a spreadsheet that includes maker, serial number, descriptor including any special information, location, and other relevant information. This is done for all things canoe related – canoes, sailing rigs, paddles, other accessories. And each item is tagged with comparable information in such a way that tags won’t fall off or otherwise get lost, yet tags can be removed easily for the canoe or accessory to be used.

As for where things ultimately go, I don’t care other than hoping they will be cared for. If they are given or sold to people who will appreciate them, or go to a museum, or hung on a wall to be admired, I don’t care. Ones that may get hung up for viewing pleasure – no problem. If anything, they are the ones more likely to survive in good condition for future generations to enjoy. The nicest old ones today often are so nice for precisely this reason. Ones that we have rotated through our living room have been outstanding ambassadors for wooden canoes, the WCHA, and outdoor activity.

The only thing I don’t want is for them to be neglected to the ravages of weather, insects and other animals, or abusive use by people who don’t care for or understand what they have.

I would like to start a museum with canoe exhibits which can be used. But the health and safety police may have other ideas……..

Dave, you say "Perhaps I should make a list or leave tags on things." My idea is similar. I write notes about things – canoes, artwork, tools, mementos, and especially the house – anything that I hope someone will appreciate when I am gone. I keep the notes in my EOL (end of life) file, both a paper file and especially on my computer. The computer files are in Dropbox (which I use because it is the easiest way to get stuff from my Mac computer to my Android phone). I have an EOL folder in Dropbox, and when the time is right I will just send a link to my kids. That will give them access to all the info, and they can share it with anyone who winds up with something of mine.

HI Nick - The Antique Boat Museum in Clayton has (or at least had the last time I was there) a small fleet of user wooden boats. It was one of the highest highlights for many museum visitors. The Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle also has a fleet of traditionally-built skiffs and peapods available to visitors. The new Canadian Canoe Museum will have a canoe house, docks and launch area as well, presumably with the idea of promoting on-water activities with loaner or rental canoes. Perhaps other museums do the same.

Michael, you just reminded me that the Adirondack Experience has a boat house on Minnow Pond where they rent historic boats. Here is the list from their website.

THE ADKX BOATHOUSE LIVERY INCLUDES:​

Boat availability is subject to change without notice.

Guideboats​

Blanchard Guideboat
A 15’ guideboat built by John Blanchard, ca 1920.
Dolloph Guideboat
A 15’ strip-built guideboat built by enthusiast Christopher Dolloph, ca 1990.

Skiffs & Other Rowboats​

Skaneateles Skiff
A 15’ rowboat built by the Skaneateles Boat & Canoe Co., ca 1900.
Amesbury Skiff
A flat-bottomed, square-stern rowboat used at a summer camp on Adirondack lakes, ca 1960.

Canoes​

Rushton Indian Girl
An 18’ wood canvas canoe built by John Henry Rushton, ca 1911 – 1916.
Old Town Canoe
An 18’ wood canvas canoe built by the Old Town Canoe Co., ca 1950.

Dave,
I believe I am a couple decades behind you in age and I have thought of the same thing. Knowing trustworthy friend's to step in and help in those tough times is a relief. We can document our items to help with specifics, but I tend to believe that will only help so much. I very much agree with Michael about our collectables going to good quality homes.
I have a large quality creel collection. When I acquire one, I do add as much info on a tag about it and place it inside the basket for storage. For the doubles, bamboo rods and canoes, fair market value at a quality auction house will take care of the leg work.
Zack

It's a challenge. As a shopper/buyer, I often find heirs don't know what they have, or what goes together. I also work at estate sales and auctions, we don't always know what we're looking at. My mother and mother in law are both 88, and live in their own homes. Mom is giving stuff away as fast as she can, mother in law won't let go of a paperback. I'm in my early 60s, but still think of reducing my boat collection. It's not too bad, as we have a small house, so I usually sell something to buy something.

I have started to pass a few canoes along already. I have gifted several to my sons, but storage is a problem for them (as it has been for me).
I have documented each canoe, but not all of the paddles and odds and ends. Eventually I must. Canoes I have built or worked on a get a short history written somewhere on a plank. Year acquired, where, age, significance, my name and date of completion...
I need to figure out how to document some of my other collections...campaign and advertising buttons are a mind-bending challenge. I have thousands and many pages of notes. Decoys are another one to sort out. I should document the decoys on a spreadsheet.
My biggest agony is what to do with the canoe form. At one time the ADK museum wanted it for their canoe building display. We were willing to loan it, but not ready to make a permanent gift since we wanted to build on it (we did). They went on to do the guide boat display. I'm not sure my sons have a place for it. I'll keep thinking about how to sort that out. I'd like to to end up somewhere in Canton or Potsdam.

Last edited:
Yes, we are also going down this road.
To reduce items, I have been passing "things" on the past few years, keeping only the (to me) special canoes, but there are still 8 left, and I'd part with 1 more if somebody comes forward.

With all things I collect, I keep a log of the items, but they are on my computer and if I am gone, not likely to be found by my wife or kids.
Hmmmmm.

Dan

I have also pondered these questions and decided that I will probably start selling canoes once I stop using them actively. The forum at the first link below and articles in Wooden Canoe can be great ways to document interesting canoes for others to benefit.

Museums seem like a great alternative but the track record is a bit mixed. Kirk Wipper and the Canadian Canoe Museum appear to have been the most successful recent example. The costs as outlined at the second link below are substantial. I suspect that the Canadian government has been one of their biggest supporters. Jeff and Jill Dean have successfully launched the Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum on a smaller scale. Ralph Frese tried valiantly for many years to get a canoe museum started in Chicago but it never came together. I suspect that a few of my things may end up in a museum. However, I don't have the funds or energy to build a new museum.

Benson

Dave,
I am not a collector of canoes, so as such, I can offer no advice on how to handle the canoes once you are gone. I restore canoes!!! I do not collect them. When a canoe is restored, I want it to go away for someone to paddle. Yes, I know most hang on walls and never see the water. I have no problem with a canoe being a work of art.

Based upon that, my suggestion is to sell the canoes to someone who will enjoy them now. Canoes usually do not bring much money at estate sales, and many offspring do not appreciate them.

This is a problem that all who collect are beset with. Our collectibles have meaning to us, and usually deep emotional attachment. Not always so for members of family, or those who will have to deal with things once we are gone or are incapable of administering to them before we do pass on. Others usually don't know much, if any, detail about the subject matter; likely as not they have little interest in it and often no sense of value. While we'd all like our 'stuff' to be appreciated elsewhere once we're gone, we'd also like to think that some decent monetary value or return will accrue to our heirs, even if they don't want the actual goods. The only way to do this is to leave 'guidance'. That takes time and preparation, can be rather tedious, but must be done. And it can only be done by us!!! I try to keep this info on my computer, but also leave a hard copy printed and on my desk. If others can't access our computers, then what's recorded there won't help. I have even sent a copy of my computer files to a knowledgeable nephew who is one of my will-designated executors. He's also a collector, has a good grasp, but I keep him well in the loop because he doesn't otherwise have all the facts that are known to me. I try to create a short page of info on each major piece, beginning with a photo or two at the top. This makes the item easily identifiable, visually. I record measurements, what I know about its history, provenance, condition, repairs, where collected, from whom, price paid. If I have relevant market info of comparable sales, I note that. I try to keep truly valuable pieces insured, especially if they are very rare or scarce items. Insurance can be costly, so quite often I only insure at partial value, enough to cover original cost, but not necessarily current replacement. My insurer gets a copy of my 'inventory', and I have a standing agreement with them that my insured values will be the 'agreed loss' values, no argument, no need for further evidence. They already have photos and full descriptions. If there are to be disputes, I want them to be hashed out prior to possible loss, not after, when the item is no longer extant. The long and the short of all this is that, as well as playing with our toys and enjoying the 'touchy-feely' fun of handling them, part of our ownership duties involves taking the time, boring as it may be, to record what we know, so that the less-knowledgeable ones to whom we leave the job of 'sorting it all out', have some guidance. If we don't do this much, we do them no favors by expecting them to look after it for us. Most of us have access to a computer, a cell phone, a printer, etc. Aided by this technology, the task isn't all that difficult. It just takes time, and we all have evenings and rainy days. Good luck everyone. PS: As for where our things wind up after we no longer enjoy or can take care of them, they can be given away, possibly sold, auctioned off, donated to a museum or charity. Over that we have little say or control. But it will be of great assistance to anyone involved to have our notes, our background guidance. It may just make the difference in whether our heirs gain little or substantial benefit from our collecting adventures.

Last edited:
I find terrific advice here and I am acting on the tips. I also have split bamboo fly rods that will need similar attention. Now, is a good time to work on the project while I am healing up from the pacemaker installation.

Dave,
You may have noticed I jump in to the conversations every once in a while then I disappear for a bit. I check in to this forum most every day but don't comment much. I have met a handful of people from WCHA and and enjoy all of them. It's interesting to me that even though we have never met and others that have responded to this post I have not met, I find myself saddened by what people here are going through. Granted the majority of us are a bit long in the tooth and things do change as we age, mostly good, some bad, but things do change. This solo trip I just took was somewhat of a test for me. Could I still make a wilderness trip? Could I feel comfortable enough without someone there to help me if my so-called knee goes out? I fared better than I thought I would but just having to question it was hard. So my canoe "collection" is small. I have 5 canoes, I only have a sentimental connection to two of them. The first stripper my son and I built, and the 17' OTCA (the one in my picture on the truck) that I got from Martha Hubble in Michigan. Both of them are important only because of their personal history. They are not historically significant canoes other than for the people who have touched them. I will not have a problem giving up the other ones when the time comes but the other two I guess I will just hang on to them and let my children decide what their fate is.
Some things bring us comfort just being around them. So be around them...

Hope to see you all on the rivers bank someday.
Norm

Sorry for the rambling. It always sounds better in my head.

Wow. I’m humbled by how many are contributing to this topic. At just 62, I think about this more than you can believe. I have 2 canoes that might be considered “museum worthy “. One is Steve Lapey’s early Gerrish that I considered the “holy grail”. I bought it to just enjoy and bath in the beauty and history of it. But also be a conduit to make sure it ultimately goes to a good place after I have enjoyed it. I have a building full of artifacts. I spend way too much time wondering where they will go when I pass. All I know is my shit need not be a “burden” to anybody.

Back