The second installment of the Zach Smith shop visit.

At about 10:30 Zack refers to "this feature "and suggests that it is a differentiator for "this canoe". The camera pulls back and shows something, but it is hard to tell what? What is that feature, "the differentiator"?

WRT shellack on bottoms, a point that should be made about shellac bottoms is that it is an easier bottom to maintain for a working canoe. Practicality is a factor. In a matter of minutes you can apply a few fresh coats of shellac to a canoe and be good to go for several hard trips or another year. If you were using paint, you would have a much more involved project on your hands to accomplish the same result. Painting a hull takes days, not hours. This is a reason I use shellac on my tripping canoe. And, damage from dragging over beaver dams or scuffing up on rocks is less obvious than on a painted hull. I'm not sure if it is "more slippery", but it sure is far more practical.

It was the single upward-facing thwart. They look like a bow for a cover.
Thank you for the feedback on the shellac bottom treatment. Your explanation is much more convincing and logical than some of the other urban legends I have been told. I would have expected for the practice to be rooted in utility.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I'll take another look. Thanks for sharing Zacks boats. He has some nice ones.
I'm kind of shocked to hear him say that he is aware of about 40 Gerrish canoes. That vastly exceeds what I had presumed. I had expected less than half that number. Also, interesting (to me) is that many of these are not numbered. I wonder what the highest known number is? Did the numbering continue after he sold his shop?
One thing that he points out that I completely agree with is that there is a lot of variation evident in the builds. The planking patterns seems to follow a standard, but many other details seems to change from boat to boat. It makes identifying, owning and restoring these even more of a challenge.
I recall seeing quite old White guide canoes with shellacked bottoms on Moosehead back in the 60's when I used to go there with my father. He seemed to think it was a normal practice. My impression (from then) was that almost every canoe on that lake was a grey White. I guess I should have been looking for Gerrish's.

I am a huge fan of EM White Guide canoes. I love the elaborate details and artistry of a Gerrish, but the no-nonsense utility and evolved design of a White Guide win me over - especially since I am more of a user rather than a collector. I don't believe you can fully appreciate the value a canoe offers unless you experience it through its intended use. Just my perspective.

Reactions: MGC
Don't lose sight of the original purpose of EH Gerrish canoes. The one I first fell for was heavily scarred by hobnailed boots.
That said, I suggest that you paddle one of Rollins Atkinson Travellers. The Traveller evolves the Maine working canoe.
For artistry, Jerry owns the honors, hands down.

I wonder what the highest known number is?

Zack kindly shared a list at the link below from 2018 that ranged from 586 to 1772. He has probably added to it in the last six years.

Benson

I'm always hopeful that someone will add some new information to one of these discussions. It doesn't often work out that way.
From the 6 year old thread, Zack still holds the "youngest" Gerrish with a serial number.
The one that he has that has the newer style tag would have been built between 1909 and 1930ish. I'd call that a Walton....

I'm always hopeful that someone will add some new information to one of these discussions. It doesn't often work out that way.
From the 6 year old thread, Zack still holds the "youngest" Gerrish with a serial number.
The one that he has that has the newer style tag would have been built between 1909 and 1930ish. I'd call that a Walton....
Mike,
The canoe is not a Walton build IMO. The tag states Bangor. Walton moved the shop to Costigan. Evan started calling the company " The Gerrish Canoe Company" circa 1906 by what I have found so I date the canoe 1906-1909. I have seen a few Gerrish builds that have Costigan tags on them.

Good point. I may have to agree with you about that. There's no absolute way to be sure, but so it goes with these old boats.
Without specific documentation and provenance, we are left to form our best and most logical conclusions.
Whatever the case, the canoe is still one of few and approaching 120 years of age.
Thanks for sharing!

Back