Stripping paint

SWEETWATER

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I am looking for for someplace in mass. That strips paint ,dipping or hand stripping.i googled furn. Strippers in mass. I called a bunch of places,all of them except 1 wouldnt even consider it, and the 1 i did find said a minimum of 500.00. Does anyone know of anyplace around boston or within a 75 mile radius? And do you think the price i got is to much it is an 18' ig.

I'm trying to strip down thru 3 layers of paint that I've foolishly applyed over the last 52 years.

I'm already a week into it and haven't finished one fourth yet. $500 to have someone else do it sounds good to me right now.

At one point today, I told my wife I was scrapping it and buying a plastic canoe. I've had a beer now, regained my senses and I'm ready to tackle another 2 rib section tomorrow.

Bravo! For some reason, the following popped into my head--- I heard it first on "Cheers" (receited by Woody)--- maybe it's your beer that made me think of it!

KEEP A-GOIN’

Author: by Frank L. Stanton (1857-1927)

If you strike a thorn or rose,
Keep a-goin'!
If it hails or if it snows,
Keep a-goin'!
'Taint no use to sit an' whine
When the fish ain't on your line;
Bait your hook an' keep a-tryin'--
Keep a-goin'!

When the weather kills your crop,
Keep a-goin'!
Though 'tis work to reach the top,
Keep a-goin'!
S'pose you're out o' ev'ry dime,
Gittin' broke ain't any crime;
Tell the world you're feelin' prime--
Keep a-goin'!

When it looks like all is up,
Keep a-goin'!
Drain the sweetness from the cup,
Keep a-goin'!
See the wild birds on the wing,
Hear the bells that sweetly ring,
When you feel like singin', sing--
Keep a-goin'!

Actually, Appleton is just under 3 hours' drive, so it could work. I also have relatives there.

As the boat stands, it's about 1/3 stripped (being generous), but I've used up all the environmentally safer stripper, so I'm going to start using the high-grade stuff... as soon as I can wedge some time together... Nearly three weeks off work for the holly daze only provided time for other projects that have been in the way of everything important... So I'll try this stuff, and if it's as aggravatingly slow as the safer stuff, I'll ask about Appleton.

The somewhat better news is that, once I got behind the bow seat, there were only three coats of paint, so it went marginally faster...

In by 8 out by noon at V&L Stripping. $13.00/ft...maybe a little more if painted. Ask for Craig. 920-731-7117 You'll never do another one on your own!:cool:

$13/foot? Is that in length, or square feet -- if it's length, it's ~$220 for a 17footer...

I'll see how the good stuff works, and make a cal from there. Thanks!

I caller Appleton this week. This year it is $16/foot. Or, $256 for my 16' O.T. guide. I am going to return the $150 worth of stripper, brushes, and scrapers I bought...........

Back