Stem wood.

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
I've used ash, elm, cherry and oak for stems. I'm starting a new solo canoe. Any opinions on using cedar for the stems?
Thanks, Dave

I was thinking of doing the same thing when I can finally get around to building the canoe I've wanted to build for a while. I don't see why not, especially for a smaller, lighter canoe. Maybe beef up the dimensions a little? Pretty sure Morris canoes used cedar stems, as far as I know.

Morris did use cedar, but he did not put screws into it. He used rivets. The rivets spread the loading better than a small screw pitch would.
I doubt I would ever choose cedar over something like oak or ash or even cherry. They steam and bend well. There should be very little weight difference.
Of the woods mentioned, the one I think might be best is elm. Elm is strong, stringy, easy to bend. Rushton used it and thinned his stems to almost nothing.

What about black locust?. It's not light, but it's damn near rot-proof and very strong. I've read that it steam bends well.

I knew about Morris and rivets first hand. And my thoughts were also that the cedar would not hold fasteners as well as ash, etc. Still pondering. I'll probably not use the cedar for stems.

I recently cut up a black locust log. It was really hard on my saw. I had to resharpen the chain, a new one, twice to finish bucking it up. Even the hardest maple is easier to cut up. I'd compare it to hornbeam, another wood that is rot resistant but a PITA to work with.
I can't imagine locust would be fun to work with.
In my mind's eye I can picture those lovely little copper stems tacks turning away and falling out while you try to canvas....presuming you were able to get brass tacks installed to hold the planking....
Ash, oak, cherry, elm........

Dave,

I have never tested Sassafras to see if it steam bends well but I suspect that it would as the grain is much like Ash. It is a very flexible wood and as such is the cadillac of woods for paddles and I have only used it for that purpose. I have sawed a lot of Sass on my sawmill and have a stockpile.
The literature says it is rot resistent and historically been used in marine applications.
If you would like to test it ,send me the maximum length you will need for the stems + and I will check around to see if one of the Norumbegas going to Assembly will transport a piece there for you. If you are not going to Assembly, maybe a friend who is can get it to you or close to you for pick up.

Ed

thanks Ed, but i don't know of anyone from nearby going except Mike and Debbie. And I've got a sawyer friend or two local, so getting wood is no problem.

I recently cut up a black locust log. It was really hard on my saw. I had to resharpen the chain, a new one, twice to finish bucking it up. Even the hardest maple is easier to cut up. I'd compare it to hornbeam, another wood that is rot resistant but a PITA to work with.
I can't imagine locust would be fun to work with.
In my mind's eye I can picture those lovely little copper stems tacks turning away and falling out while you try to canvas....presuming you were able to get brass tacks installed to hold the planking....
Ash, oak, cherry, elm........
Yeah, I agree that it is quite hard and may turn tacks. But, I made a new tiller last winter for our sailboat out of an old, very dry piece of black locust and it tooled quite nicely.
Dave,

I have never tested Sassafras to see if it steam bends well but I suspect that it would as the grain is much like Ash. It is a very flexible wood and as such is the cadillac of woods for paddles and I have only used it for that purpose. I have sawed a lot of Sass on my sawmill and have a stockpile.
The literature says it is rot resistent and historically been used in marine applications.
If you would like to test it ,send me the maximum length you will need for the stems + and I will check around to see if one of the Norumbegas going to Assembly will transport a piece there for you. If you are not going to Assembly, maybe a friend who is can get it to you or close to you for pick up.

Ed
I've never tried steam bending it, but we replaced the 'wales on a 20' Old Town with sassafras and I really like it.

Back