Stem nails for OT Yankee

canoenut

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I'm restoring a 1936 OT Yankee and had to remove some planking in the stem area, in order to repair the stems. Noticed that the original nails are steel and the heads are rusted. As you know, the stems
on this model canoe are very thin. Should I pop the heads on the steel nails and what should I use in their place for both original and new planking in this area?

Thank you,
canoenut

I use bronze ring nails. I pre-drill and clip them to the length. I'd try to get the entire iron nail out if possible. I think galvanized was commonly in use. I've seen copper nails too.

Hi have a good actually the same clothes can
oe it also had steel tax I replaced all the steel tax with copper and bronze ring nails

I was gonna edit that - but I think I'll leave that - the wonderful smart-phone voice recognition thingy that allows you to dictate

Lets try again manually:

I have the same canoe - a 1936 yankee which was also all steel tacks along the stem and fastening the ribs to the inwhales. I replaced several of the planks at the ends and replaced parts of the stem on both ends. I drew all the steel tacks out and replaced them with bronze ring nails. No problem with the stems being too thin -just use 5/8 ring nails and you're all set. I used 3/4 inch ring nails to re-fasten the ribs to the inwhales. You gotta do this because steel simply doesn't last more than a couple years. Oh, wait a minute...:D

I found a very acceptable substitution that is almost as original...the nail can be found in hardware stores and is a copper coated steel used for weatherstrip installation. They have an appropriately sized head and use a thin diameter wire in their manufacture. I do drill a pilot hole for them and absolutely use the clinching iron on the other side of the stem when driving them in. Have fun.

Not much copper on those plated nails. Where the copper scrapes off from from being nailed they will eventually rust. Better to use the bronze ring nails.

Back