st. Lawrence boat works canoe

David Satter

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I've got a very nice St. Lawrence boat works cedar strip canoe. It's probably from the early 1920s. I have all the information about the company and some info from The Antique Boat Museum in Clayton. I believe theirs only a few of these out there. I know Dan Miller posted some info on this boat in 1998. 5/8 wide planking clenched to small ribs. All about the same except for the garboard strake that's over 8 inches wide. Some of the seams have opened up and if you look close the edges of the planks have a concave convex on them. I'm looking for any ideas on making her watertight. I'll put her in the water and see how she swells up. but I don't think it will close all seams. She's going to get refinished though I do want to keep her original but usable. Cant hurt to get some other ideas on this. thanks, Dave

Attachments

• st. Lawrence canoe 002.JPG
    st. Lawrence canoe 002.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 286
  • st. Lawrence canoe 003.JPG
    st. Lawrence canoe 003.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 273
  • st. Lawrence canoe 004.jpg
    st. Lawrence canoe 004.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 259
  • st. Lawrence canoe 009.JPG
    st. Lawrence canoe 009.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 270
  • st. Lawrence canoe 011.jpg
    st. Lawrence canoe 011.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 249
  • st. Lawrence canoe 012.JPG
    st. Lawrence canoe 012.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 253
I've got a very nice St. Lawrence boat works cedar strip canoe. It's probably from the early 1920s. I have all the information about the company and some info from The Antique Boat Museum in Clayton. I believe theirs only a few of these out there. I know Dan Miller posted some info on this boat in 1998. 5/8 wide planking clenched to small ribs. All about the same except for the garboard strake that's over 8 inches wide. Some of the seams have opened up and if you look close the edges of the planks have a concave convex on them. I'm looking for any ideas on making her watertight. I'll put her in the water and see how she swells up. but I don't think it will close all seams. She's going to get refinished though I do want to keep her original but usable. Cant hurt to get some other ideas on this. thanks, Dave

Very nice old canoe you have there. I love the seat. It'll be fantastic when you get it all sealed up and refurnished.

Back