Spring time photo request

Roger Kugler

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hi All,
I need your photos of canoes in the spring time... you remember; warm temperatures, sunny blue skies, the scent of milting snow combined with new grown grass...lilies poking through dried leaves-- any photo that captures the essence of the wooden canoe in this season. Closeups are probably better than landscapes with a "canoe in there somewhere". I'll use these on the carousel of the main page. Email me directly or post a reply so others can vote!
Thanks in advance,
Roger
WCHA Webmaster

Spring

Headed to Paddlepalooza in Columbus Ohio with a few boats.
Craig

Attachments

• DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 318
Spring Time

New green on the trees, old white snow on Katahdin, not a black fly in sight, what more could you ask for??

Attachments

• DaveDeadwater.jpg
    DaveDeadwater.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 285
Gees, Roger, where am I supposed to find that with 7 more weeks of possible snow and ice? How about the baby Sandhill Crane from last spring. Shot from one of my canoes within 1 or 2 days of hatching.

Ya....sure

Ya ...... sure. We can use that.
Thanks,
Roger
(How long is the Sand Hill Crane season in MI?)

Roger,,,,,

These pictures were taken while on a five day solo trip last spring on the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage here in northern Wi. in mid May.

FG

Attachments

• Turtle Inukshuk 002 copy.jpg
    Turtle Inukshuk 002 copy.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 259
  • Turtle Inukshuk 025 copy.jpg
    Turtle Inukshuk 025 copy.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 248
  • Turtle Inukshuk 027 copy.jpg
    Turtle Inukshuk 027 copy.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Turtle Inukshuk 010EDIT copy 2.jpg
    Turtle Inukshuk 010EDIT copy 2.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 250
My daughter Leslie a couple years ago in 1935 Old Town Otca Memerial Day weekend, Orange County, NY

Attachments

• Copy of MEMORIAL 017.jpg
    Copy of MEMORIAL 017.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 293
Well as long as we are showing off daughters, here is mine same trip as previous photo. Don't get me started on photos of the grandkids!
Craig

Attachments

• Miki in Canoe Lake K.jpg
    Miki in Canoe Lake K.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 316
Attached is a pic of a Sandhill crane chic, May, 2010. Distance 20 ft from canoe.

Attachments

• crane chick 2767.JPG
    crane chick 2767.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 251
I love these springtime photos... and would jump right into a favorite poem if the young sandhill hadn't appeared. I really love these birds. My 6th grade teacher said they'd be extinct by the time I was an adult, and here they are... still producing young. They are considered the most ancient of all the birds still living on this planet, so if they look and sound like pterosaurs, that may be why... and the babies are called (get this) COLTS. Just like a male baby horse. So the fellow in Jan's picture is a colt, trotting through the lily-pads...

Sandhill cranes with in minutes of hatching are floundering around after water bugs and whatever else they can get at. Mom and dad are no help when it comes to food. I followed this family from a safe distance as they moved through the edge plants. While the adults had no problems the little one appeared to be on the verge of going under frequently. After 3 weeks or so of life on the edge of the marsh/lake they moved out into the grassy fields. The little one had gone from 6" to about 10" in height. I did not see them again until mid August when they all came flying in low and screeching. While the adults landed with one step the youngest and still smallest took 3 or 4 steps that day. Every day until mid October when they headed south they would come in low from the fields. The big male had established their territory and chased off other crane families. With wings flapping and screeching he would charge intruders chasing them back into the tall grassy fields until they flew off. Very intersting as they congregate in the winter months in huge flocks. By the time they flew south the youngster was taller then mom leaving me to suspect that it was male. I have lots of pics all taken from a canoe. The closest I was able to get was 10 ft. But only after weeks of prooving I was no threat.

Old Town on Old Sabine River at Nibletts Bluff, La.

Hi folks, This is a 1922 Old Town that I restored some years ago. I hope this qualifies for a spring time theme. Thanks, Don

Attachments

• 1922Old Town Guide .JPG
    1922Old Town Guide .JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 252
Back