Serial number

Old Town 89370 is a 17 foot AA grade Otca finished between January and April of 1926. It has open mahogany gunwales and mahogany decks, thwarts, and seat frames. It has outside stems, was fitted with a keel, and was painted design #26, then shipped to the M.G. (or M.C.) Neil Company in Akron, Ohio in April 21, 1926.

The scan of this record is attached below-- click on it to get a larger image. This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

I've also attached the image of Old Town design number 26, courtesy of Benson Gray and Dan Miller's "The Complete Old Town Canoe Company Catalog Collection 1901-1993", available on CD.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description don't match your canoe. Your canoe should be 17 feet long... and the serial number should have "17" stamped on the stem before or after the serial number. If your canoe's serial number is on a brass plate or stamped on a rib, this record doesn't go with your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions, or if your canoe doesn't match the record we can help discover what it is.

Kathy

Attachments

• 89370.jpg
    89370.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 243
  • OTdesign26.jpg
    OTdesign26.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:
This is my father-in-law's canoe which was purchased in the '60's reconditioned and was titled as a 1922 18' otca. Do you think the year on title is wrong or took 4 years to build.
thanks,cainboyz

You may want to look at the serial number again. Make sure of what it is and it should have a space after the S/N with a length number. If you can take a photo of the S/N and post it. That would help. Kathy will be home later to attach the build record (I don't know how to do that) but I can look up another number and let you know what it says.
Denis

O'Neil's

Kathryn Klos said:
Old Town 89370 is a 17 foot AA grade Otca ........... then shipped to the M.G. (or M.C.) Neil Company in Akron, Ohio in April 21, 1926.

Kathryn & Cainboyz, The O'Neil Company was a major department store in downtown Akron for many years. I know because my Mom dragged me along, as a kid 50 years ago, a couple times every year when she went shopping there. If you look up O'Neil in Wikipedia you will learn the founder's first name was Michael. This may explain the build record. Tom McCloud

Hi Cainboyz-- As Denis said, check the serial number on both stems... Old Town serial numbers are on both. Several canoe companies used 5-digit serial numbers, and sometimes a canoe that isn't an Old Town gets connected to an Old Town build record by virtue of this fact, and the notion some folks have that all wood/canvas canoes are Old Towns. So, a picture helps too. Otcas prior to 1957 have a 20" deck with coaming... you can see examples of the decks at www.dragonflycanoe.com/id/ ... click on Old Town on the left-hand side.

If you can't read the serial number very well, a digital photo can sometimes bring numbers out... and if posted here, there'd be several minds at work deciphering it!

Kathy

Back