Seavey

woodcanoenut

1914 Old Town Charles River
Seavy Canoe Exhibition CANOEING OARS 1886 Antique Engraving Art Print Matted

This item a picture or something like it is on ebay under the above heading. Seavey caught my attention--think of Tom who is a member.
Wendy

Seavy Canoe Exhibition CANOEING OARS 1886 Antique Engraving Art Print Matted

This item a picture or something like it is on ebay under the above heading. Seavey caught my attention--think of Tom who is a member.
Wendy

Attached is an image of the engraving Wendy is referring to. It is a pretty remarkable image when you study it at some length. Having some of the text that goes with it (which was published in different places) makes it even more so.. :cool:

L.W. Seavey was an important photographer of the time, on par with, but not as well known as Seneca Ray Stoddard. Like Stoddard, Seavey photographed a lot of the early ACA meets.

Dan

Attachments

• 1886 canoe exhibition.jpg
    1886 canoe exhibition.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 342
Dan, if you go to the sellers page on eBay, there is some really cool sailing canoe stuff as well.

Yeah, I've got all of those. That seller is basically cutting up the old tabloids and selling individual pages. I prefer buying them whole, partly because it grates on me to cut up stuff, and partly because the article that goes with the engraving is several pages away...

The 1880s through the early 1900s was rich in canoeing material, sailing and otherwise, in both places geared towards sportsmen, like Forest and Stream and Fore-n-Aft, as well as the general public (Harper's Weekly, Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, and even The Cosmopolitan).BTW, the 1893 edition of Cosmo had a little different newsstand presence than it has today...!

Back